Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ejector pit overflowed but how?
Author: mijclarke (IL)

My basement flooded and I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly what happened for insurance and future planning purposes. My toilet flapper inside the tank was stuck completely open for 3 hours. It went to my ejector pit and may have overflowed from the floor drain that connects to the pit. There was no water on top of the pit cover. The water spread out to almost half the floor but was shallow. Only the bottom of the baseboard got wet. I have a basic Zoeller ejector pump with 2" discharge from 06' (installed by previous owner). The float has been stuck before and caused some leakage so I cleaned all the solids out about a month ago. The pit may only be as deep as my sump pit which means its technically to shallow. I installed a quiet check valve with a spring soon after I cleaned the pit. The toilet was rarely used since but the pump ran fairly often because my central humidifier water drains to the ejector pit.

Right before I found the flood I heard the pump kick on twice in a short period and each time it was pumping longer than normal. I closed the toilet flapper and shut off the water to the central humidifier and the flooding seemed to stop. The pump seems to be working again. I should have peaked inside pit at the time but I didn't.

What caused my flood?
A) stuck pump float switch
B ) toilet paper stuck to spring in quiet check valve
C) pump couldn't keep up with running toilet and humidifier runoff
D) All of the above
E) none of the above

Please help! Thankssmiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Re: Ejector pit overflowed but how?
Author: hj (AZ)

B and C are improbable with a functioning pump. Therefore, the pump is either failing or it did not run in order to pump the water out, which leaves a problem with the float switch.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

imo: you should NOT have a spring or any other check on an (sewage) ejector pump

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; you should NOT have a spring or any other check on an (sewage) ejector pump
Reply To This Message

In that case you have NOT installed many ejector pumps, because they ALL, regardless of the discharge pipe size, have "check valves", but not usually spring loaded ones. Otherwise you wind up pumping the same water out continually as the pump shuts off and the water is siphoned back in to the pit.

an ejector pump is NOT the same as a sump pump

however

if a check is REALLY REALLY required (some codes require a 'backflow' check)

it MUST be a full port horizontal swing check installed HORIZONTALLY

so the vertical discharge piping must offset horizontally to allow for the installation

ps. this is a Zoeller sketch

Edited 3 times.

Author: mijclarke (IL)

Very interesting. Unfortunately I would be very difficult to add a horizontal to my piping system. What if I used a 3" full flow check valve installed vertically? The main concern would be toilet paper or waste not making the 90 degree turn near the ceiling and settling down on top of the valve. If you had a powerful pump that grinds solids would that make a stuck check valve highy unlikely? My vertical section from the bottom of pit to the 90 degree bend by the ceiling is around 10 feet. I'm also thinking of getting a sensor float switch that won't get mechanically jammed from toilet paper. Is there a specific type of sensor switch you would recommend? Thanks

an ejector pump IS a powerful pump which grinds 'solids' such as TP, 'turds', etc. and is designed to handle sanitary waste

a sump pump is designed for water only

[www.bing.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.