Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replacing water main
Author: nj2012 (NJ)

I have been hearing sound of water running for about 3 weeks now. I thought it was just us using water but recently looked at the meter and the meter wasn't moving. Called 4 different plumbers they all came and gave me estimates of the following:

-My water pipe underground in the concrete slab is leaking. Just 2 days ago couple of bubbles coming out of a crack in my garage (basement).
- According to the plumbers I have to replace the entire line to the curb water box (about 20 feet of concrete ((garage + driveway).

1 company is really good according to google reviews, yelp, and BBB and gave me the following quote.

Replace the water main pipe from my garage where it comes above ground to the curb box using 1" Poly pipe, including permits and concrete work for $6200.

2nd quote 6800 including all the above

3rd quote 5000 not including concrete work, and I have to get the permits.

4th quote 3000 not including concrete work, and I have to get the permits.

Questions.
is 1" poly pipe good for my house? According to the plumber there is sand under the concrete. I live in Bayonne, NJ.

Is this a good price? I negotiated it to $6200.

Re: Replacing water main
Author: m & m (MD)

This site does not allow discussion of pricing. With up front pricing, you have to decide which contractor is most competent and which price you are comfortable with. Are you sure a homeowner can secure a permit?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

1" Poly pipe is the most often used piping for mains in my area.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Why would you replace the water line if, as you say, the water meter is not moving during no water use? A noisy toilet fill valve or hanging flapper could be the culprit.
Turn off the mater main valve inside your house. If the sound goes away, the problem is not your water main.
I would pin-point the sound of "water being used" before digging anything.

Edited 1 times.

Author: WC (VA)

The question that should be resolved in your locality:

1 Is the person/contractor that ACTUALLY "gets" the permit the one who is COMPLETEY responsible for all covered work? If so -- it is in the homeowners interest for the contractor to "get" the permit - it would be worth any extra cost to keep the contractor directly and entirely responsible. (Of course the COST of the permit will be included in the contract.)

2. Insure ALL cement work - ESPECIALLY a driveway should be done properly, according to code - OR better. IE - Underlay preparation, thickness, type of cement, rebar etc. This should NOT be left verbally but written in any contract.

3 quote/s: "I thought it was just us using water but recently looked at the meter and the meter wasn't moving." ---- But you ALSO say "My water pipe underground in the concrete slab is leaking."

"IF" you have a leak "somewhere" -- and YOUR meter does not move -- Doesn't that indicate the leak is not on YOUR side of the meter. I personally have a deep well (with no meter) so I don't know -- but maybe a professional plumber will pitch in -- Would repair on the water main side of the meter usually be the homeowner OR the cities responsibility? (Is the homeowner ALSO responsible for the branch line FROM the larger "main" to and including the meter?) I am also curious how that is usually handled

Author: packy (MA)

6200 dollars and they want to use the cheapest pipe available??
why not copper?
the digging will be easy because it was dug before and there will be no suprises encountered.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

1. It is the OWNER/BUILDER'S responsibility to get any required permits.

(the contractor may, or may not, do the 'leg work' of actually getting the 'paper')

2. Not sure about NJ but sometimes there are licensing/bonding requirements involved.

Since the meter is evidently in your basement the diagnosis of the leak is probably accurate.

for the other plumbers:
due to the 'frost line' the pipe is 36-48" deep and is the HO's responsibility from the curb cock (if any) to the meter which may be indoors in the basement (for freeze protection)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; 1. It is the OWNER/BUILDER'S responsibility to get any required permits.

Here, unless the homeowner is doing the work himself, the contractor gets the permit. That is so they can verify that he has the proper license and insurance to do the work.

please specify 'here' for the OP

smiling smiley

"Here" at this time is AZ, but previously "here" was Illinois and Michigan, and it was the same in both places. IF the homeowner obtains the permit, he is NOT allowed to "hire" others to do the work, it has to be a complete DIY project.

Author: packy (MA)

that's it hj..
stand up and be proud to be from AZ. the D'backs are on a one game winning streak..
just don't ask about the Bo-Sox being swept at home by milwaukee.

soooooooo

the HO hires someone to perform plumbing

the person does not get a permit

the HO is then 'off the hook' for the required permit ?

or

the person fails to call for a final inspection ?

methinks there is something lost in our views

perhaps the HO must apply/sign but if a contractor is used the contractor must register as the actual worker therefor 'registering' for the permit before its issuance ?!

in any event it is the OWNER who would be ultimately responsible for un-permitted work

for NJ: [www.state.nj.us]

note section (C) REQUIREMENT in the upper right corner for the AUTHORIZATION CERTIFICATION

since the OP is in Bayonne:

Bayonne New Jersey Building Permit

Office: 1-800-872-0222

JUST REMEMBER: LICENSED ~ INSURED ~ BONDED

Edited 4 times.

Author: WC (VA)

Back to "Part" of the original OP

1. The homeowner states that estimates 1 and 2 ARE "Including permits"
2. The homeowner states that estimates 3 and 4 would require the OWNER to get the permits.

My point was/is "The question that should be resolved in your (OP's) LOCALITY"

IMO "It is in the homeowners interest for the contractor to "get" the permit --- it would be worth any extra cost to keep the contractor directly and entirely responsible."

This "Should" -- "May" -- "Maybe" -- resolve legal recourse due to any possible improper, poor / shoddy workmanship by a contractor.

WC,

agreed - my previous posting has been edited

Things are tough all over. You can be satisfied that the Yankees only have ONE home run so far.

Author: nj2012 (NJ)

The sound I was hearing was few weeks ago. Just recently I started seeing water bubbling from a crack in the ground.

I called my city today and was told that I'm responsible from the main in the street. (Not just from the curb box)!!

Now I got a quote again for this from the one company that I feel is good, been around for long time, good google, yelp, and bbb reviews.
Now to go out to the street the price is $9000 including everything permits/police etc. with 15 years warranty on the plumbing work, and 5 years warranty on the concrete work.

This is negotiated down from $13k.

The water main is on my side of the street. Does this increase in price make sense? 2800 more just to go out 3-5 feet?

yep

police presence to close and dig up the street

make new tap

replace entire supply ONE PIECE ~ properly backfilled onto and with TAMPED sand

install new curb box and valve

have inspected

repour driveway 5" - 3000# concrete with expansion grooves

price is not unreasonable

juuuuust mayyyyyybe they miiiiight be able to repair from the curb box in

but

if you have a problem later ? not cost effective for them or you (because under the driveway)

get a copy of their performance bond

best of luck

Edited 3 times.

Nowhere here have I seen ANYTHING about having located where the leak is. THAT is what will affect the price.

quote; get a copy of their performance bond

You want them to purchase a "performance bond" for a residential water line replacement.

no, they should already have a performance bond in place covering their work and warranty

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Did the plumbers state why the entire pipe has to be replaced and not just locate and repair the leak?

Author: vancouverplumbr (WA)

One thing you should ask is

What's the worst case scenario and how much would that cost.

It seems like it is going to be a big project for you.

Make sure you are prepared for the worst case scenario

Good luck

[bestvancouverplumbing.com]

How to Deal with Plumbing Emergency in Vancouver& What You Can Do Right Now.
[www.bestvancouverplumbing.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.