Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Box store kitchen faucet assy connections
Author: ricker (OH)

The brass .5 male npt connections at the end of the copper tubes are odd in that the the threaded area is with flats on both sides. (like a double D) (circle with flats on each side)
Instructions say to use teflon tape; yes, I should think so!

I really wonder why the threads are not all around the circumference.
Should I trust that the teflon tpe will make it all ok?

What is the logic of how this is machined? I do not think the store people can answer this.

Re: Box store kitchen faucet assy connections
Author: bernabeu (SC)

the 'flats' are for wrench 'hold back' when attaching/tightening the supply tubes

the seal is NOT made on the 1/2" NPSM thread but at the FACE, which IS ROUND and 'may' also be tapered using either the rubber washer in the flex connector or the 'bull nose' of the rigid connector

why they would recommend Teflon ? ~ friction reducer? ~ no other purpose

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If the area were completely round, the faucet supply tubes would be destroyed as the supply nut were tightened.

Yes, now I get that the face or some taper internal thing is intended to make the seal.
I have a brass female straight threaded pipe connector w/o any "lands" to butt up against. If it were threaded conventionally, and had wrench flats to hold it like the old one, I'd be ok

I will cut the connector off and solder the tubes. The given ends on the new faucet will not work with nipple connector thingies. Fewer parts when soldering.

Thanks

Author: hj (AZ)

You know something? I have absolutely no idea what you stated in that last posting.

see: [www.brasscraft.com]

plus

faucet shank nut

equals

some brands will have Cu tube ending in the threaded 'shanks' you described

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

female adapters will not work on that connection.
cut off the threded ends and use 3/8 compression adapters or just use stainless flexable connectors.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Ok, which brand of faucets are you refering to? Model?

Best Wishes

"stainless flexable connectors"

a flexible braid hiding a vinyl tube

service life about 10 years - change out with every new faucet

It is Tuscany, (China)
I will solder the 3/8 tubing to the faucet tubing tails after I cut off the male half inch ends.

My original intent was to screw the faucet male end to female 1/2 pipe. The machining is too far unusual to use female pipe. Not even with Teflon tape. They gave it a complete D shape all along the thread length.

I am not going to bother with the plastic pex and bull nose fittings which I now realize is the mfr intent. I will solder copper up from my stops up to the copper pigleads of my new faucet.The copper tubing is already in place, so why not simply solder and skip all the fittings.

About the 1/2 ends; I do not know why they spoiled the round shape with the D flats considering wrench lands do exist on the fitting top. So much for connecting things up like pipe

After my surprise of the thread flats, I figured out what to do...just solder the pig lead tails. Everything will be okay. Thanks.

even more betterer

ps. I forgot the brand, but I once saw a faucet with Cu 'tails' with built in female sockets for soldering 3/8 OD tube

Author: packy (MA)

well, you got one on me, my friend from SC.
i have never seen CU tails expanded to recieve a male end for soldering.
i have in my possession a couple of 3/8 CU sweat extensions. expanded on one end to make it an extension.
i will never use them..

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. It appears you have taken a job that would require a couple of minutes and are making a project out of it. Hopefully the tubes are 3/8", and NOT metric which most foreign companies use.

The only thing I have ever seen was old European faucets with metric tubes. You had to swedge them to 3/8" and solder a 3/8" stub in to convert to US dimensions.

maybe my memory confused with the ?older? Delta compression ends !!??

The new ones, as with many other manufacturers, are 3/8" compression, and the tubes are long enough to usually reach the angle stops to make a single connection.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.