Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tub Spout Set Screw Stripped, Unable to remove.
Author: Alexbuggin63 (CA)

Hello,

I have been doing some searching on this site in order to help resolve my issue. However, I wanted to make a post for specific advice before I do something a bit more extreme (using a hacksaw to cut off the tub spout).

I purchased a condo not to long ago that was built in the early 70's. The bathroom uses a slip on Tub Spout that has a flat head screw set on the side of the tub spout. The spout is no longer working properly (water comes out of the spout when in shower mode).

I cannot turn the screw and there are 2 issues I am running into.

1. The screw is extremely stripped. I get no grip when using a screw driver. Tried to even use a rubber band to get more grip.
2. The screw is on the side of the spout towards the shower wall. This makes it really difficult to fit anything in there except a short screw driver. I have maybe 6 inches from screw to wall.

It appears the screw was also screwed in at an angle when it was originally installed. Part of the tub spout is "dented" where the screw meets the spout.

I have tried several types of lubrication to loosen the screw such as CLR and WD-40. I cannot get a drill to fit in the small area in order to drill out the screw or use a screw extractor.

At this point I am ready to try and use a hacksaw to take it off, but have never done so and don't want to cause further damage.

I have gotten some quotes from local plumbers and the prices are all really high and it is not something I can afford. Thank you for your help.

Re: Tub Spout Set Screw Stripped, Unable to remove.
Author: njmike (NJ)

in your situation, i would unscrew the spout. most of them screw into the fron anyway. if you break it, you are no worse off then before. just in case, can you gain access behind the shower? (closet?)

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You might be able to turn it enough so that you can drill out the screw. I've never saw a screw on the side, all I've ever saw were on the bottom and almost all have a hex head set screw. If it is indeed a flat head screw, I think the spout will unscrew and then you can deal with the adapter , or just replace the diverter portion of the spout assembly.

Yes I can easily access behind the shower. The back faces the bedroom and there is a metal panel that I can remove to access behind the shower.

You guys think it is possible to just twist the spout even though the set screw is in there pretty good? I am just worried about damaging the copper pipe. I can try uploading some pictures in about 4 hours if that might help.

If its a Moen spout with a clamp under the screw, then yes twisting it could damage the piping, most other types with a set screw have an adapter that the spout actually threads onto and twisting them off will cause no harm. Yes a picture would definitely help.

Here is a picture of the tub spout set screw. I am not sure how to figure out who made the spout.

[i62.tinypic.com]
[i58.tinypic.com]

That's not a Moen spout, I'd deepen the screwdriver slot with a Dremel and cutoff wheel and back the screw out.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto: deepen the screw's slot with a 'cut off' wheel on a Dremel type tool

PLUS

grind a screwdriver to match the curve on the cut off wheel so it will 'grab' in the slot

(hold the driver next to the wheel and 'eyeball' the curve)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sozoal (CA)

its a mixit spout, compression on copper, if the screw will not release, you may have to cut the spout off, starting with the tip where the diverter knob is and slowly cutting away pieces (shears, dremel) until you can release its grip on the copper, i've had to do this before, although the slotted screw never looked as clean as yours.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I think it's the location more than the fact it's stripped. Use a stubby screwdriver, rather than one with a smaller blade, because of the space. clamp a pair of vise-grips on the handle of the stubby.Deepening the slot first with a Dremel would improve your chances also. You have a lot of "meat" left on that slot. Put your palm on the back of the handle of the stubby to apply pressure at the screw. Position the vise-grips to give you force pushing downward.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Some do have an "exposed" screw/bolt on the right side, but since they attach by "squeezing the pipe, rather than the screw "denting" the copper, they will usually rotate to make it easier to access the bolt head. And with enough twisting and pulling it might even come off.

It is probably a Mixet spout with a compression attachment to the copper rather than the screw actually tightening into the copper.

Thank you for the responses, appreciate the help smile

Thank you for the responses. I will try the dremel once I can burrow one. Surprisingly in the picture the slit looks pretty clean, but the screw driver slips right out. I will come back once I get it off. Again appreciate the help.

Edited 1 times.

Maybe you have a bad screwdriver.

I got my hands on a Dremel and attempted to use it to make the slit bigger. However, it is not working. The screw appears to be screwed at an angle (probably due to the small space) and on the left side has very little stick out. I have also purchased a small stubby screw driver and tried turning it with a wrench and all my force, but still it is not budging.

Could I cut the spout off with the dremel? The idea is to cut just enough of the top part off to where I could get some plyers in there to losen the screw from the inside.

At this point I have exhausted all my options that I can think of.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.