Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Removing a Roughed In Pipe So I Can Finish My Basement
Author: jkon (WI)

Our house was built in 1973 and there's a roughed in pipe in the middle of the basement ... I'm no expert (that's why I'm here) but it looks like some kind of drain/toilet rough-in. It's metal with a screw in metal cap and goes about 8 inches above the surface of the basement floor. I want to get rid of it so I can properly finish the basement with flooring. What I want to know is A. is it OK to remove it and/or fill it and B. how do I remove it and/or fill it!?

Re: Removing a Roughed In Pipe So I Can Finish My Basement
Author: Don411 (IN)

A toilet or drain rough in would be flush with the floor. This sounds like the clean-out access for your main sewer drain. Removing and/or filling it in would be a very bad idea. Plan the layout of the basement so that you can enclose the pipe in a cabinet or built-in, but have a removable top or plenty of access in case a plumber needs to get in there to work.

Author: packy (MA)

i agree that it is most likely a cleanout and needs to remain.
depending on how deep the pipe is, you could break up the floor around it, cut it down lower, provide some sort of removable water tight cap and cover that with a brass decorative cover such as this.

Author: hj (AZ)

From your brief description it sounds like a cleanout, but there would be no reason to extend a cleanout "8 inches above the floor". They are ALWAYS installed flush with the floor, if the installer is competent. Until you, and we, know WHAT the pipe is and WHY it is there, there is no way to tell you what you can do with it. It might even be the top of a backwater valve, depending on how big it is. Without at least a picture we are guessing.

Author: jkon (WI)

The image that was posted in the thread is pretty close to what it looks like. Is it some kind of vent? I guess, either way, it's going to stay. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it is a CODP

clean-out deck plate

a competent plumber may/should be able to properly set it flush to your finished floor

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

"close to what it looks like" may not be good enough. There is absolutely no reason a competent plumber would install one of those even a half inch above the floor and surely not EIGHT inches up.

Author: jblanche (WI)

Is it possible it's something like this? This installation predates the OP's by 50 years but the original description doesn't seem to eliminate it.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.