Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking Cold Water - Tub
Author: Matt56 (MA)

Hello,

I was looking for some advice. I have a 50 year old home with what I assume is original plumbing in the bathroom. My cold water started to leak in my tub. I replaced the stems and I noticed the high hat washer was torn on the cold water stem. The seat valves are circular so I assumed that means they cannot be replaced (easily). I bought a seat grinder and smoothed out the seat, but the water is actually coming out harder now than before. Is it possible that I grinded the seat too much? It seems like the stem is in contact with the seat as when I remove it, I can see the impression on the washer. Could I have an uneven finish on the seat (it seems like it is coming out pretty fast for that)? ANy help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Matt

Re: Leaking Cold Water - Tub
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Yes, Yes and Yes.

You don't grind brass/monel seats.... you replace them with new ones.

Best Wishes

And to replace them, I would need someone to open the wall and cut them out or are they able to be removed with a tool?

Author: packy (MA)

if by 'high hat' washers you refer to the old American standard aquaseal, replace the stems with newer style washer stems.
aquaseals are funny. you need to crank on the hex nut to make them not leak.
the new style is more forgiving.
also, if the hole in the seat is round, they are non-removable. all you can do is grind them smooth.
this is what to look for...
[www.homedepot.com]

Hmmm. Available online only. I'll have to try and pick one up at a plumbing supply store in the morning.

Author: m & m (MD)

If the faucet is an American Standard AquaSeal, then the seats are definitely replaceable- allen wrench is all that is needed. Make sure there is a 'backing plate' in the high hat, otherwise the end of the stem will punch right thru the washer as it mates with the seat.

The seats have a circular opening, not a hexagon or square. Those can be replaced?

Author: hj (AZ)

1. A "high hat" washer is a term used for American Standard faucets.
2. Your faucet is not really old enough to NOT have removable seats, but I suppose it is possible.
3. Any seat 'grinder' you could find would probably NOT be suitable for dressing a seat, because it has to be "perfectly" oriented to do it properly.
4. I would have to know the make and model of the faucet, which you should know if you purchased and installed new stems.

quote; replace the stems with newer style washer stems.

Actually, the washer/seat stems are the "OLD" pattern used before Aquaseal, although they will interchange. Some "round opening" seat are press in ones.

IF it is an American Standard Aquaseal, and that has not been established, then the only way it could have a "round" seat opening is if someone stripped the hex out of it.

It is an American Standard Aquaseal.

Had a pro come look at it today. He said the seat needs to be replaced. However, according to him the seat was not easy to find and it would take him a few days to find it? If he was to replace it, he would charge us for the time it takes him to find the part. Or he could do a total replacement of the faucet for $625.

quote; However, according to him the seat was not easy to find and it would take him a few days to find it? If he was to replace it, he would charge us for the time it takes him to find the part.

Oh come on! there are only two seat versions and ANY good hardware store will have BOTH of them.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.