Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Type of toilet closet flange for 3" copper drain?
Author: maz (NJ)

Hi All,
I'm looking for a little help with installing a toilet and flange.

I have 3" copper drain for the toilet and the previous flange is gone when I got here. (I have nothing to refer to for replacement)
It doesn't look like the previous flange was soldered to the drain pipe and I suspect that a closet flange of another type was used.

What are the flange options compatible with a 3" copper drain ?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

-James

Re: Type of toilet closet flange for 3" copper drain?
Author: packy (MA)

cut the copper at the appropriate height (leave about 1/8 inch of copper pipe sticking above the machined surface shown here), clean and flux it and the flange. solder it from above by heating the joint and applying 50/50 lead bearing solder.

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

why not cut the copper back and use a bow adapter (fernco) and transition to abs?? er pvc??

Author: bernabeu (SC)

why not use a rubber clamp instead of a soldered joint ?

you are joking, are you not ?

why not just deficate into a rubber tube and rinse with a garden hose ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

didn't think I was joking.. are you not allowed to transition from on material to another, and how would you do it...keeping it simple for a guy who may have a nut driver but not the means to solder? cast iron soil pipe - how you connecting that? Whats an MJ?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you have a copper drain pipe

have a plumber solder the appropriate flange

or learn how to do it yourself

a 'jumble' of mismatched adapters is your alternative

or a bucket

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.