Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Electric Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve
Author: Chris2005 (PA)

Hi, My grandmother's electric hot water flooded the basement a few days ago. When she discovered the problem, the entire basement was sitting about ankle deep. The water was coming from the pressure relief valve. I went to lowes today and bought a new valve that is the same size, psi, and temp setting as the old valve. My question is, the old valve states 100,000 btu and the new valve states 105,000 btu. What does this mean and will this difference cause a problem? Thanks!

Re: Electric Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

For your safety's sake, the most important question needs to be addressed; What Caused the original pressure relief valve to open?

I'm not sure what orginally caused it to open. I just assumed it was time to replace the valve. I have talked to some other people and they are saying that the tank could have over heated and popped the valve. If that is the case, wouldn't the valve have closed once the temp and pressure in the tank dropped with the loss of water for an extended time? The entire basement was flooded so the water must have been coming out for awhile. I just figured that with the water running that long the temp should have gone down enough to close the valve. Am I missing somthing? I'm open to all suggestions!

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It opened because of temperature or pressure that was too high. Is the house on a city water supply with a pressure reducing valve ?

Yes the house is on a city water supply and I'm assuming it has a pressure reducing valve sinse this is the first time this has happened and the house been built for 30+ yrs.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

NC is right, the safety valve on the water heater is a T/P (temperature/pressure) valve.
Since you are on a city water supply, you could have a bad PRV (pressure regulator valve)

If you put a "lazy hand gauge on your system overnight and it "spikes" above 80 psi, your PRV could be bad.

(Available from our sponsor)
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

a little off topic but if I remember t and p is 150psi, 210 degrees- it may be different down south- but a t and p is a t and p. Is this a boiler? cause then btu is relevant?

Author: hj (AZ)

If it were temperature that opened it, then it should have closed when the water cooled down, unless the valve also failed. If pressure opened it, it would NOT stop until the pressure dropped to its low setting, but if you are on a city system with high pressure, that will NEVER happen, so the valve will run "forever". If that is the problem, it should happen with the new valve also. Check your water pressure.

quote; I'm assuming it has a pressure reducing valve

Bad assumption, because NOT having one is more likely, unless you are in a high pressure area.

The btu is irrelevent, as long as it is HIGHER than the heater's input capacity, which for an electric heater is very small.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

a TPRV should be tested / 'worked' ANNUALLY as a minimum

if left 'static' they will become 'sticky' over time

side issue: why did the floor drain not work ? if no floor drain HAVE ONE INSTALLED as per code

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.