Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Badly vandalized home - replumb options
Author: sum (FL)

OK may be I am asking for it, but here goes.

This is a 4 unit apartment building in South Florida. Bank owned. Property was badly vandalized by previous owner. All windows broken, tiles and mirror smashed, copper pipes removed, all copper electrical conductors pulled from conduits, cast iron pipes broken and removed, air conditioners gone, water heater gone, appliances gone...well pretty much everything gone.

So first a few pictures.

All four apartments are in similar conditions.

Obviously, I need to hire this project out. I can't possibly do this on weekends.

I have not purchased it yet, still working on numbers and estimates.

On the plumbing side, I would like some opinions.

Supply - there is no more copper pipes except for those buried under the concrete slab. The guy even broke open the exterior concrete block wall to get at the pipes behind hosebibs. So I think the existing copper pipes need to be abandoned and I will need to do all new supplies through the attic, PEX may be? Is that the best way?

DWV - as you can see in some of the pictures, they removed all the copper drains too, and for reasons I can't understand, they also broke the 3" cast iron waste/vent pipes (all four of them), so now I can look up and see the hole on the roof. I don't think old cast iron has any value...so they did it just for spite? Unfortunately, if I shine a flash light down, I can see broken pieces of cast iron pipes lodged deep in there. What can I do about that? I don't want to break open the slab.

Thoughts?

Am I crazy to be thinking about doing this?

Re: Badly vandalized home - replumb options
Author: packy (MA)

100 percent repipe..

Author: hj (AZ)

What size straight jacket should we order for you. What you have is probably more expensive than doing a new building.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Sum. Only YOU know the answer to that. This is a major reconstructioon project. Besides re-plumbing, repiping, electric and repairs, you have the glass and wood work. Is it really worth it in the Florida Market? Only you know the answer to that.

Best Wishes

Author: jimlenahan (GA)

I can't tell from here if you are crazy or not -- but whether or not you should continue depends upon the price and the location. Remember Rule #1 -- you make your money on the buy.

I have been through many similar purchases and projects in the past few years, and would be happy (in a different venue) to share war stories.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

run, Sum, run

FASTER FASTER FASTER

see Sum run

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: HelpMePlumb (FL)

Way too much bad karma in that building to even think about wanting to own it.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

Best option may be a bulldozer depending on what the land is worth smiling smiley

my straight jacket size is medium.

packy I know the supply lines need to be 100% repiped.

I was wondering if I could use the existing DWV below grade. The toilet is still sitting over the toilet drain so I *ASSUME* that opening is OK. The 3" main stacks are all broken. I am thinking I can still cut it 3" or 4" above the top of slab and build up from there. What scares me is the broken pieces of cast iron debris (and whatever else) that dropped down in there...that seems to be my biggest concerns.

I know this is a complete gut job but once the demo of all the sheetrock, tiles and ceilings are gone it's just new construction.

unless the vandalism extended to include mortar in the drain lines

Author: hj (AZ)

It is on order, because this statement

"Obviously, I need to hire this project out. I can't possibly do this on weekends."

combined with the problems you have had hiring contractors on previous job, will put you in it in a short time.

Mortar poured down the main stack - I doubt it. I did shine a flashlight down each of those broken 3" CI pipe because that was one of my concerns. I didn't see any mortar down, usually if someone did that when they pour it they will be sloppy and spill some on the outside and some on the inside wall, I didn't see any.

What I did see are broken pieces of the CI pipe dropped into the pipe and lodged at the elbow. Not sure how to fish them out.

They must have broken the pipe with a sledge hammer. So I don't know if there are hairline fractures on the pipe that extended below the slab. Cracks I can't see but will rust and enlarge later on.

magnet on a stick

Bad karma? It's not like it's haunted. All that matters are the numbers, does it cash flow.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.