Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Low Flow -- but sometimes worse than others
Author: jimlenahan (GA)

Flow drops at times. Every faucet in the house -- both hot and cold water. I have replaced the pressure regulator -- but it did not fix the problem.

I have a hose spigot between the meter and the pressure regulator -- that ALWAYS has good flow.

If I close at the meter and bleed the pipes from that same hose, I get good (not great) flow once I turn the water back on. If I let the water run from one of the faucets for a while, I get better (not great) flow.

It SEEMS as if there is a partial block after the pressure regulator. Is that normal? Is there any way to find it? What else can it be?

Thanks!
Jim

Re: Low Flow -- but sometimes worse than others
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would suspect a clogged inlet screen at the pressure reducing valve.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Do you have copper pipes or glavanized pipes in your house? How old is your house? Do your neighbors have the same issue? What kinds of debris do you have in your water? What is the source of your water?

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; I have heard that even a septic tank can freeze up.

That should do absolutely NOTHING to improve the situation. Any good plumber could diagnose the problem in a few minutes IF he is at the building, but not over the Internet.

Re: I would suspect a clogged inlet screen at the pressure reducing valve.

Would that not have been cleaned / replaced when the valve was replaced?

Re: Do you have copper pipes or glavanized pipes in your house? How old is your house? Do your neighbors have the same issue? What kinds of debris do you have in your water? What is the source of your water?

House is about 25 years old with copper pipes. Water is supplied by the county and is clean (if over chlorinated at times). My neighbors do not have a similar problem.

Jim.... I agree with HJ. A good Licensed Plumber, doing an onsite evaluation of your plumbing system should be able to resolve your questions and issue in a short time. Apparently this is nothing new and has been plaguing your house for some time. Your attempt didn't resolve the issue as it wasn't the cause.

For peace of mind and much better pressure, call a Licensed Plumber.
Best Wishes

I appreciate the suggestion. However, it was a LP who suggested replacing the pressure regulator :-(

Thanks again.

Did the LP actually perform an evaluation of the issue at your home or was this done over the telephone, or did meet them on the street? Something doesn't appear proper. What did the plumber tell you after you talked with them after the pressure regulator didn't help.

Best Wishes

quote; However, it was a LP who suggested replacing the pressure regulator :-(

And your point is? Being a LP does NOT automatically make someone an expert diagnostician. I cannot tell you how many LPs I have to "straighten out" on a somewhat regular basis while talking with them in the supply houses.

I am sure he did NOT say, "Boy, I guess I should have checked better."

Since the problem was not corrected, then I assume that he did NOT adequately inspect and diagnose wink

He came out, fixed what he assumed to be the problem and left. When I let him know that the problem was not resolved, his reply was that the regulator was bad anyway.

Re:

>>quote; However, it was a LP who suggested replacing the pressure regulator :-(

> And your point is? Being a LP does NOT automatically make someone an expert diagnostician. I
> cannot tell you how many LPs I have to "straighten out" on a somewhat regular basis while
> talking with them in the supply houses.

My point was in response to the statement that I need to get an LP on site to diagnose and correct. I did that. I am _here_ to try to avoid wasting money on another incompetent one.

The key words are "incompetent one". Do your due diligence and you will get a good one, but not necessarily from a company that buys TV and radio ad time, or full page yellow page ads, nor one that has "rooter" in its name but says they also do plumbing.

>> "Do your due diligence"

Point taken (and again, why I am here)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.