Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 slow running kitchen drain
Author: Marko1 (MO)

Hi, my mom has a kitchen sink with two basins. each basin runs into it's own 2" steel drain(might be 1.5?). they go to the basement and connect to the cast iron drain system eventually. one side drains fine, the other drains but slowly. I've poured 5 or 6 slow drain liquid foaming products down over the past year and it keeps slowing down. sometimes it seemed that it helped at first but not for long. The side that runs fine has a garbage disposer, but i don't think she uses that very much, not much cooking anymore at her age.
Sounds like it needs snaked but how would they get it past the strainer? have to remove and replace that? i'll have to check next time i'm over there if there's a cleanout near by down below but don't know how they'd get it to go up the right tube if they came from below.
Any thoughts about best way to proceed?
thanks
marko

Re: slow running kitchen drain
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

There should be a trap underneath the sink, it will need to be removed and a cleaning cable inserted there. If you're lucky the problem may be found in the trap itself and no further will be necessary .

Re: slow running kitchen drain
Author: hj (AZ)

A plumber will know exactly how to do it, so just call one. Also, unless the garbage disposer is run periodically, it will eventually "rust closed" and not drain either.

Thanks

Thanks NC and HJ
wow, what a @#$%& I am....obviously you'd run the cable below the sink...that's so hilarious i wasn't thinking that...complete brain fart...my only excuse is having a bunch of other stuff on my mind and the obvious just escaped me. smile
my assumption is that the steel pipes are rusted closed since organic would have been cleared with all the foam cleaners i've used...unless they are pure junk and bogus products?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You were right at pure junk and bogus. Take the empty containers back a get your warranty money back. (isn't that what the container say? )

A tiny cable will do no harm, but it won't clear a 2-3 inch line either. I'd get a licensed plumber to have a "look-see." In the end, you will have peace of mind .... and a drain that drains.

Best Wishes

Re: Thanks

Thanks WC
I wish i'd kept the bottles, never thought of that.
Sounds like calling a pro is in order, thanks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.