Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain / Vent bathroom
Author: Laurentbourg (NY)

Hi all, I live in a condo on the ground floor (street level), and I have a bathroom I am converting into a closet. This is an additional bathroom that was created by the previous owner which I don't need. Regarding the toilet, I have removed the toilet flange, cut through the concrete to access the toilet pipe, put a fernco on it, and sealed everything with mortar, all good I think. My problem is with the sink drain piping, there is one part after the p trap that goes to a drain pipe on the floor, and another one that goes to another vertical pipe, which I assume is the vent pipe, into a T fitting (top goes to towards thr ceiling and bottom towards the floor. Can I remove the T fitting and replace it with a PVC straight pipe connected with no hubs on each side, and for the drain pipe on the floor, just cap it with fernco? Or does the drain pipe on the floor need to be connected to the vent pipe even if I don't have a sink feeding to it anymore. It might be easier for me to send pictures. Piping is all cast iron.

Re: Drain / Vent bathroom
Author: packy (MA)

there shouldn't be three connections under the sink. there should be a tee in the wall that the sink drain connects too. the top of the tee is the vent and the bottom of the tee is where the water drains down towards the floor.
your description is not confusing but the way the piping is laid out is confusing.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The way I read it, there is just a tee they are dealing with. I would no hub the vent back together after removing the tee. There may condensation or rainwater above the tee that needs to proceed on into the sewer system.

Thanks for your response. Below a link to pictures:

[s145.photobucket.com]

Yes there is a T behind the sink wall, the top of it goes around the room and connects to a vent vertical line with a T. The bottom also goes around the room to connect to a drain on the floor. My question is whether I can cap with fernco the drain pipe on the floor, and replace the T on the vertical vent with a straight pipe using no-hubs.

Assuming of course that vertical pipe is a vent pipe, and the one on the floor is a drain.

Author: steve (CA)

Replace the vent tee with a straight pipe and cap the drain pipe where it comes out from the floor. As to whether you can use PVC, local code might require cast iron.

Thanks Steve, I was thinking that maybe vent and drain on floor would still need to be connected for some reason, even if no sink, so that's great. How about just capping the T on the vent line, instead of replacing with a straight pipe, is that an option? Otherwise I will just cut with a reciprocating saw a straight cast iron piece from the lines I am removing to use on the vent line.

Thanks everybody for the help, much appreciated.

I just went ahead and capped the T on the vent as well as the floor drain. Thanks everybody for the help, much appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks everybody for the help, much appreciated.
Author: bernabeu (SC)

keep pics for when you sell the house - a cheap bath addition will enhance $$$$

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.