Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can't remove bathroom faucet handles
Author: LymaBeane (CA)

I have a leaky faucet in my bathroom. I was reading how you can replace the washers. My apt is really old. I looked at the handles (hot and cold) and there is no way I can see how to remove the handles. Also I had turned off the valve switch under the sink. I tried to remove the handles by pulling them up (thinking they snap on or off since there is no place for a screwdriver). Now my sink drips even with the valve off. I want to replace the washer myself because it takes forever for maintenance to get to it and I work full time.

I have enclosed a picture of the faucet. Please help!

Thanks

Re: Can't remove bathroom faucet handles
Author: hj (AZ)

You snap those "cross covers" off the handles and the screw is underneath them. The spout thing unscrews from the faucet, then the spout pulls out. There is an "O" ring that stops the leak. From the questions, I think you should wait for maintenance to fix it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: LymaBeane (CA)

Do you know what type of faucet it is so I can get an idea of where I can get washers?

My kitchen sink has the same type of handles and I saw where it says Price Pfister. Maybe they are both the same? There is nothing to read on the other one.

thanks

Author: bernabeu (SC)

probably takes brand and model SPECIFIC cartridges (washers went out along with the DoDo bird)

leave it to maintenance since you don't own it

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I bet your apartment super is just waiting for you to fix your faucet and then claiming that you broke it, just so they can buy a new one and charge you. Your faucet looks acid burnt, as the chrome is quickly fading. If you fix it, expect to buy it later.

Best Wishes

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

Please never attempt to repair, adjust, or alter something you do not own. This applies to a rental car... and it also applies to a rental property.

"You touch it, you own it" means if anything goes wrong, and it very easily can, you can be liable for a huge repair bill.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is a Pfister, (formerly Price Pfister), faucet and most of them with that handle do not have "washers", you repair it by replacing the stem cartridge, but since Pfister makes several stems which LOOK almost the same, you should take one of the with you to compare it in order to get the correct one.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.