Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need help taking apart a Grohe 34 122 valve
Author: ajahearn (CA)

This is a thermostatic valve and recently the temperature is not functioning properly. Over a few days the temperature of even the coldest setting has gotten very hot, and the hot setting is ridiculously hot. I contacted Grohe and they suggested I clean the debris from the check valves and thermostatic cartridge. And so I have a few questions I need help with. I tried a search but only found some comments that are close but not complete. I'm using the following link to identify parts [www.grohecatalog.com]

#1 I was able to remove the check valves (14 116) and I removed debris from the screen (02 990) but should I also be opening the valve up and clean anything behind the screen? There was only a small amount of debris around the outside of the hot side and I could see thru the mesh on both valves.

#2 I cannot determine how to get at the thermostatic valve (47 050) shows as section 2. Section 1 is in the way. The green plastic cap with a X in it came off at one point along with a broken o-ring so I have asked Grohe for one to replace it. But how do I get the remainder of it off? Does it just unscrew off or pop-off?

#3 Finally assuming I can get the cartridge off, would cleaning it really fix this problem? It seems to me that this valve is failing. However, I read on one posting that the green cap (with the X) is used to adjust the temperature but there are no instructions on how to calibrate the valve. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Re: Need help taking apart a Grohe 34 122 valve
Author: packy (MA)

congratulations, you really have one of the best valves on the market.
unfortunately it is also the most service unfriendly valve there is.
if you look at the exploded view you can see a part #1. all of that must be removed to access the cartridge. replace the cartridge. tell grohe you want a new one at no cost.
once you have replaced the cartridge put all the pieces back. the o ring that you refer to simply holds the trim in place.
the green piece is the thermostat adjustment. it takes me a lot of trial and error to get the temperature where I want it.
install it at about 1/2 way. then turn it on and check the temperature by turning the dial all the way to hot. it should be 109 deg. if it isn't then back it out a touch to see what happens. if it got hotter then turn the green piece inwards. eventually you will get it right.
just to be sure, ask grohe what direction you turn the green adjustable piece to go hotter or colder.
it's been a while but I believe turning it inwards makes it hotter.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Sorry to continue asking questions but I need a bit more help.
1) behind the o-ring behind the green knob (control) is a plastic housing attached to the thermostatic cartridge. Does this pop off or does it need unscrewed? I would hate to break this part.

2) Do the service stops really work? I turned the hot one in nearly 1/2" into the body and it wasn't stoppping. I was expecting it to quickly reach a point where it would not turn. I was afraid to go any further for fear that the piece would fall into the body of the valve so I returned it to the almost completely open position. I really need this to work as I don't want to be left with a case where I cannot get the thermostatic cartridge back in place and a house with no running water.

Grohe has been good about replacing some valve cartridges for me already but so far is a bit resistant on the thermostatic cartridge. I will do as they ask but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new one.
Thanks.

I found one more detail that I was not aware of previously. I also have the 19 616 trim package (http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/19616-geneva). The piece of plastic I was thinking was part of 36 122 is really part of this setup. This shows something like a cotter pin which I have seen. I now think that I have to pull this cotter pin out to remove the plastic ring surrounding the cartridge. Does this make sense?

Author: packy (MA)

yes, pull the cotter pin and the plastic trim will pop off.
as for the integral stops, they are either 1/4 turn or regular compression stops. if they don't stop the water when the screwdriver slot is aligned across the pipe then just keep turning them clockwise. don't worry, nothing will fall into the valve body.
as for grohe and getting free parts, tell them you have been posting on a very popular plumbing forum and plumbers there tell you that delta, moen, kohler etc give free parts and they were under the impression that so did grohe?
lastly, once you replace the cartridge your valve will perform like new.

Thanks for all the help. Grohe must be watching your forum as I got an email this morning confirming the shipment of the valve. I only asked for the o-ring smiling smiley

Just a follow-up, while I was already to spout how great Grohe customer service was I have to now recant that statement. I got a shipping notice last Monday 9/23 but nothing delivered so I contacted them yesterday 9/30 and was told it was shipping and I would receive it by Thursday. Today I got a shipping notice and it says I should not expect deliver till 10/7. That is well over two weeks and even more when you consider they had me running around cleaning cartridges. I can clearly state that doesn't really make me think highly of Grohe. Something to consider when you are planning your next project.

Author: BDM (CA)

I have the same problem with the same valve. I have also been told to clean out the check valve, which doesnt seem to make sense.

Did replacing the cartridge do the trick?

Author: nycjstar (NY)

Hi - I have the exact same problem and cartridge and trim. I'm unable to locate a cotter pin to pull out the plastic / cartridge. I'm just staring at the plastic cover with the two tabs and green temp adjustment in the middle, which I can wiggle a little, but it doesn't come out. I read somewhere that it will slide straight out if pulled with force ONLY if the water is turned off? Will tightening the check valve nuts turn the water off? It's 15 years old. Please let me know if a new cartridge solved your problem AND how to get it out! THANK YOU!

UPDATE: I see a cotter pin in the plastic housing, which I can pry partly out, but it's blocked by the metal colar/housing of the grohe geneva handle-base

[@#$%&[postimg.cc]][/url]

[@#$%&[postimg.cc]][/url]

turns out that "brass" housing/collar slides right off. and it's plastic.

and turns out I have a 34 124, which uses a 47 310 cartridge. The check valve broke in two as I was unscrewing it - still haven't gotten the rear piece out yet ...

Edited 4 times.

Author: nycjstar (NY)

where is that cotter pin? I don't see it, but need to remove the plastic cover piece to access the cartridge below.

turns out the cotter pin was obscured by the plastic collar (looks brass), which slides straight out to allow access to the cotter pin. easy.

BUT the cartridge is stuck in the valve - can't get it out. I'm ordering a 24mm deep impact socket, and planning on using the impact wrench on it when it comes. Bad idea?

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.