Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Exposed copper pipes are "IN"?
Author: sum (FL)

I noticed in some of the more trendy home design magazines, they are showing more and more plumbing with exposed copper pipes as part of the "feature".

Kind of like how some architects like to use exposed air ducts for HVAC to give an "industrial" look?

Here are some examples:

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Also, does that mean plumbers who are contracted to do these jobs need to be artists?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Exposed copper pipes are "IN"?
Author: Plumbum (Canada)

Sum

Nice post

Those who work with their hands
Are Labourers
Those that work with their minds are professionals?
Those that work with both

Are indeed Artists

Thx 4 your thouughts

tc

I will be in Florida soon

NOWAY!!!!!! Don't want to meet you!!

:-D

This site has my email addy and phone number

Close to lobster grounds?

Yum

Dale

Author: pzqk7j (AZ)

In a word stupid, maybe 2 words, stupid and ignorant.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Thanks Sum. I saw the future and those exposed copper pipes are now chromes with thermo protections.

Best Wishes

You are correct!

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I would suppose if one had more money than common sense and lived in a loft in Manhattan, they could go absoutely more goo-goo than Lady Gaga over the exposed copper phenom. or "Boiler Room Chic".

The rest of us... not so much.

It looks like a trainwreck were form had a head on collision with function. confused

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Very "trailer park chic", or retro 1800's. Some interior decorator charged a customer thousands of dollars to come up with those "unique" designs. Probably go the idea from some old magazines.

Edited 2 times.

Hahaha plumbbum its cold today down to the 50s!

Yeah come on down and help me fix my solder cap holes!

quote; help me fix my solder cap holes

How do you "fix" something that is not broken?

I personally like the utiliterian look (I have concrete finished floor in one of my houses) but even I cringed when I saw these.

Using gate valves as faucet handles?

If I want this look I would just go with oil rubbed bronze finishes.

I am sure part of the selling point must have been - easier to maintain (LOOK! You can fix thing without tearing up walls!), environmentally responsible (LOOK! No need to use sheet rock or tiles to cover things!), and cheap (no need to buy fixtures!)

So...how do I get an aerator on the end of these copper pipes LOL?

When that look was in vogue, they did NOT have, or use, aerators.

Oh did you all see they used Sharkbites in the last picture?

That is another benefit! They can use those because it's exposed!

In the picture where the copper pipes come out the floor why did they paint the bottom two or three inches?

Edited 1 times.

Well hj if I have to expose my beautiful brass shower valves I can't let my guests see the holes in the solder caps!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

do it right ~ use chrome plated brass pipe:

or polished brass (don't forget the laquer):

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: jblanche (WI)

I love the exposed look ... in the back yard. Or the unfinished basement. Not in the bathroom, please.

To me it's like "fixie" bike riders ... no gears, often no brakes and no freewheeling. They're really more interested in making a style statement than in doing the job in the best, most reasonable way.

Oh, and I actually do have some exposed spiral duct in my house. It's functional and I can't see any reason for boxing it in with sheetrock.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Edited 1 times.

IF there is no "freewheeling" how does it move and without gears they must push it with their feet.

bernabeu

Nice pics! Thx!

All those Archies and design folk that I somewhat distained along the way are smiling at me

I am smiling too

Sign your name on the wall with your art!

hahaha

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Plum cyclist?Bikes are pretty in copper tones.Plumbing is as the purchaser options.cost for ?we can expose and protect but the cost is higher.Why buy a honda that looks like a hog if you want a hog?The right plumber -----the design engineer can hide tubing and gain space?Bet dollars and sense will hide the controls/ spout and the drain.Never mind the dwv.Copper as art can be used but it should be free of the real dwv. Is that what your showing me???

Author: jblanche (WI)

Sorry, I didn't mean no gears, I meant no derailleur. Can't change gears. But there is a chain, pedals and sprockets.

Yep, the only way to slow down a fixie is by pedaling slower. Otherwise you'd better get your legs out of the way.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Edited 1 times.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Nice stuff Bern.Yours?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no, not my house

just examples of exposed fixture piping

circa 1970 i did significant exposed chrome work for medical labs and x-ray developer piping

full walls covered with mixing valves, distribution pipe, thermometer gauges, etc.

code stated: "continuous smooth, impervious, polished surface" ~ ergo chrome

strap wrenches ~ plaster of paris ~ 'parmelly' wrenches ~ 'armstrong' stocks ~ split couplings lined with lead sheeting to hold pipe in jaws of tri-stand vise ~ etc

lost arts

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: WC (VA)

Long - Long ago when I was in the Army (1st Infantry Div ) Fort Riley Kansas for a time - I remember our latrine had "beautiful" exposed copper pipes -- which we dutifully regularly polished with brasso. At some point later in time I imagine the pipes were polished so thin that they disapeared.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.