Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 A push/pull shower diverter
Author: Dakota (Non-US)

I have a shower pull/push diverter, and I'm curious as to what you plumbers would recommend to use for lubrication. It works, but sometimes it starts to stiffen up.

Dakota

Re: A push/pull shower diverter
Author: hj (AZ)

Nothing. Replace it.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

where the divertor does not leak. Knowing how to disassemble and lubricate the sticking area is important.deltas and moen the thin shaft seal/o-ring .

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Usually its the minerals in the water. Remove, soak in white vinegar and reassemble.. until the next time. Replacement is another option.
Best Wishes

When I spend the time to remove the diverter, I will NOT waste time clleaning or reinstalling it.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

HJ, that is understandable and I agree. However when DIY'ers are involved and have the time.... anything is possible.

quote; have the time

Ah! There's the rub. How much time do they want to spend on a task which might NOT be successful?

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I was hoping to find the solution as my divertor is a little sticky too. Here's what I did: Pull up on the divertor, pour some CalciumLimeRust remover on it, work the divertor up and down and twist it, apply a little more CLR, do the hokey pokey and twist it all around. No soak, no disassembly, no replacement. It worked for me. Now I gotta clean the rest of the tub.. see what I started! smiling smiley

*Fixitangel*

I don't know the hokey pokey. LOL. My diverter is at a 90 degree angle to the wall, and it's not a pull up, but a pullout/push in there is no easy way to clean it, other than shutting my water off to take it apart and soak, or clean it. I've done that many times, and it works for 2-3 months, then it starts stiffening. Thanks to all for their suggestions. It still works, but I just wanted to know if there were other ways of cleaning, or lubricating it. Whomever did the piping never put shutoff valves on the pipes that feed the bathub/shower fittings. Someday I will put some in so I donl't have to shut my main.

Dakota

There is NO diverter, that I have ever heard of that requires you to "shut off the water" to fix it, EVEN if it is part of the faucet in the wall. How about a picture, because it could be Delta or Moen. Usually, that type of diverter is "push in", but it "pops out" when you turn off the water. When it gets to the point where it has to be "pulled out", it is usually worn out.

Edited 1 times.

you can get away with doing that. If I did it, and you wouldn't want to pay my charges while I did the Hokey-Pokey, you would call me back in two weeks to do it again, and two weeks after that, and on ad infinitum, or ad absurdium.

Mine is two faucets, with the diverter right in the center of the two taps. If we want to shower we turn on the taps, adjust the temp of the water, then pull the diverter shaft out, and it sends the water to the shower head. When our shower is done, we usually push it back in, or turn off the taps, and either way it shuts off the shower. When it acts up, it gets hard to push in, and if we shut off the taps it don't quite go back in all the way on it's own. A little push and it finally seats. This is the best way I can describe it.

No, I'm not a qualified, or licensed plumber, but I have always repaired most of my household problems. If I felt that it was beyond my expertise, I then would hire someone to do it. I think this is a very good forum with knowledgeable people, that seem willing to offer assistance, and I like reading everything to improve my knowledge of plumbing.

Dakota

Author: packy (MA)

you left out ad nauseum..

That too.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

In terms of the lubrication you asked about....the correct lube for plastic or rubber parts and seals is silicone grease. Do not use regular "plumbers faucet grease".

It would be a good idea to identify your brand and model of faucet and look at a parts diagram on the manufacturers website.

HJ. Thanks for the tip on water not going through the divert-er valve with out the taps being open,one learns everyday. I took it out today, and soaked it in White vinegar, then put it back together and so far it's good. Time will tell. Thanks people!

Dakota

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.