Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 tile backer
Author: recall (PA)

I am going to remove my existing cast iron tub and ceramic tile and replace the
tub with an acrylic one. I'm not sure whether to replace with tile or use
a tub surround. My question is: Do I need to use cement backer board or can I
use green or blue drywall? The current wall was standard drywall with no moisture
issues.
Thanks

Re: tile backer
Author: RWP (SD)

Use the green sheetrock with the tub surround. The surround is much less likely to leak than tile. It is also warmer to the bare skin than tile. Read the instructions before installation and follow them exactly.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Author: dlh (TX)

personally i would use cement backer just to be on the safer side

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I too would use cement backer board, and replace cast with new cast.

Thank you all. I appreciate your advice and quick response.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

If you go ceramic...it must be on backer board. Greenboard/blueboard are NOT acceptable as tile substrate.

Author: HelpMePlumb (FL)

Drop in a new steel tub and then tile the surround. To me it would be easier, better looking and you'd have hundreds of options as to color, style, layout etc instead of just cheap white plastic.

Author: steve_g (CA)

I'd go with a cast iron tub and tile with durock or other cement backer board- I think it's a better job. It's not like you have to do it very often, but you'll be using it for years or decades to come (unless it's just a flip). A new tub/shower mixer goes without saying.

Author: mr leak (CA)

Green board is illegal and no longer acceptable under the new building codes in many areas of the countryfor your described application. One of the several products now used is one called Dens Sheild mfg by Georgia Pacific This is installed in new construction and remodeling projects over the framing.Then a concrete tile backer board such as Wonderboard or Hardi Board can be installed OR a morter bed with wire or lath for tile. This procedure allows the tile to be a radius bullnose [ approx 1/2 ]projection configuration rather than a surface bullnose configuration. Green board is only moisture resistant and mold mildew and other issues have made the use obsolete in many areas. Many tile contractors would morter directly over green board as a tile base and problems eventually surfaced because of moisture issues
Hope this helps.

Thanks again to all of you. Info does help.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.