Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 propane hot water heater problem
Author: flatlander (KS)

I think the heater was working fine. We ran out of propane, had the tank refilled. Water in the tank is cold, thermostat set on medium hot. Pilot lights, burner ignites and burns for about 3 minutes. The high temp limit switch resets and shuts down the system. Water is still cold. I reset the switch and started over, same result. Bought a new switch, same result. I bypassed the switch and within 5 minutes the bottom outside of the tank began to smoke and put out a "burned pan" smell. I shut the system down and reconned the temp limit switch.

Observations: appears to be venting properly, heater is less than 6 months old, it's a Bradford White 50 gallon. Flame is burning orange, I'm not sure how it used to burn.

Any thoughts?

Re: propane hot water heater problem
Author: hj (AZ)

By "temperature limiting switch" I assume you mean the FVIR "anti explosion" control. IF so then you must have a venting problem keeping the flue gases from exiting the combustion chamber, and if the flame is yellow, it is not getting enough air, or the flue is blocked.

Author: SMSPlumbing (MD)

If the unit is 6 months old, then it is still under a warranty. Did you have a professional install it?

We bought the house 6 months ago and the heater was replaced as a condition of sale. I really don't know who installed it but we can probably find out.

Is it likely that something inside the heater itself is blocked? I put a smoking piece of cardboard about an inch away from the flue that vents to the outside and it seemed to suck the smoke right out.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

look at the label and find the manufacturer date...if its less than 1 year you have a warranty w/o a reciept...contact BW and they will send a repair person for free

if its over 1 year then you will still get free parts, but not labor

if you have the receipt or a supply house tag that will save you too

i always sticker every water heater....maybe the plumber did too? call him

Bradford White uses their serial number as their date code. It will have two letters. Go to their website and it has a page you can go to to see when it was made. It is a 6 year warranty from the factory for parts and tank.

If you can not locate the original installer, call a plumber and have them inspect it. If there is a problem with the venting, then it can be a more serious issue, like Carbon Monoxide poisoning, if you keep running it.

Author: packy (MA)

the installing plumbers name will be on the plumbing and gas permit/inspection form.
get THAT plumber back to have warranty work performed.

Author: Royboysc (SC)

Maybe in Mass. that would work but other areas might not require a permit even for a licensed plumber.

gas work with no permit/inspection ???
your insurance companies must love that...

Even when it is required, it is seldom done. Doing so would add a couple of hundred dollars to the installation with NO benefits to the customer.

the benefit to the customer comes when the house goes up for sale and the home inspector asks for permits.
around here they DO ask...
banks will not lend money on a home unless the home inspector gives it a passing grade. this passing grade includes permits and inspections on any recent visible improvements.
gone are the days when homeowners or handymen installed things that required permits without taking the necessary permits.
if one talks to the local inspectors, one will quickly find out what a PITA this is for them..

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Gas flow is low.screen?

Here, the inspectors look at the water heater, and IF there are obvious deficencies will make a note for them to be addressed, but NOTHING about permits.

Inspectors here are the same. They just look to see that all codes are met and thats it. Nothing about permits.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.