Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Why only 6 year water heater.
Author: rayh78 (VA)

Why is it that supply houses only carry a 6-year water heater. Is this designed so plumbers will have to buy more?

I try to stay away from a lot of items from the box stores.
But a 12 year water heater from the box store has to last longer so be better than a 6 year from Noland or Vamac.

A handyman friend of mine tells me he gets a lot of work from being able to tell coustomers he can put in a 12 year water heater the next day, because plumbers in our area will only offer a 6 year unless they wait for a special order.

Am I missing anything?

Re: Why only 6 year water heater.
Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

Around here, anything past 8 years is living on borrowed time.

Does your friend charge more for these 12 year units?
When one fails before the 12 years is up, does he replace under warranty?

Which brings me to another point.
Does he possess a gasfitters ticket.
Most insurance companies will not cover claims by people if they had a non-qualified (non State Certified) person do an installation.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If I'm not mistaken, the 6 year and the 12 year tanks are exactly the same.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The sacrificial ANODE RODS are totally different ... (Magnesium costs $$$$$)

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; But a 12 year water heater from the box store has to last longer so be better than a 6 year from Noland or Vamac.

WHY do you say that? Probably due to your naiveté. The only difference between a 6, 8, 9, 10,or 12 year heater is the price. You are just buying an insurance policy to cover the added years. And I can install a 9 or 10 year heater the same day. That is because we buy a 6 year heater, and then pay a premium for an "extended warranty", and the heater becomes a 9 or 10 year on depending on the brand. The heater does NOT last any longer than it would have as a 6 year heater, (which is also true of the big box versions), but it costs you less IF the heater fails during that time period. The manufacturers are gambling that it will not happen so they can pocket the additional money. And if it fails during the first 6 years, you may have paid extra for nothing, since the new heater will only have the remaining years of the original heater and it is not likely to go bad in a couple of years.

The only thing the "warranty" covers is the heater. Installation, and sometimes "paperwork" fees for the replacement are not covered. In many cases, due to logistics, replacing a heater under warranty is not that much less than installing a "new" heater, and with the new one you get the full warranty, not just what is left of the original heater's, (which could be anywhere from a month to a couple of years).

If that were true, then Bradford White, and American as two examples would NOT extend a 6 year warranty to a 9 or 10 year one, just by paying a "premium".

quote:WHY do you say that? Probably due to your naiveté.

True, but thats why I am here asking. Is ther no difference with the rods. And a couple of years ago the difference between a 6 year GE water heater and a 12 year one was the 12 year had stainless steel elements. And maybe wrong again, but I thought these last longer.

Also should have added was just talking about the electric ones.

Thanks

There you are talking about an electric heater, and the elements are NOT covered by the warranty, only the tank against leaking. Nichrome elements can be installed in any heater, and I usually use them for bottom element replacements.

Gas/electric makes little difference. The above statements apply to both types.

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

A lot of heaters now cover the elements also.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

Rheem professional series is a 8 year when installed by a plumber and you can purchase the 4 year warranty package..i offer 12 year warranty to every customer...know how many ive installed? 1

i do sell the 8 year to most customers though.

i think price is more important to the handyman customers than the 12 year warranty.

they are looking for a cheap install and its a bonus that it has a 12 year warranty...

Author: tato

If you read the warranty carefully the only item that is cover for more than a year in the W/H from the big box store is the tank it self, the rest of the W/H is only cover for a year.
Reem and Bradford and white are the only ones that warranty all the components for longer than a year.
Bradford and white is the way to go for me easy and reliable.
Good luck

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

judging from my replacements i dont see BW lasting any longer than Rheem...i replace both of them 12-15 years old consistently.from a longevity standpoint i dont see a difference between them. Rheem is the most popular in my area...rarely do either last 20 years around here...I replace 6 year old AO Smiths regularly though.

Around here EVERY brand has many failures in less than 8 years and quite a few in less than 6 years. AN electric heater older than 10 years is ancient. Gas last longer, but still don't usually exceed 15 years.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Have you asked your supplier about extended warranty?

Author: CHayn (IL)

my company installs Bradford White and Rheem. They are also looking to start with AO Smith. I have replaced more AO Smith types than anything and many more Rheems still in warranty than Bradford Whites. In my opinion the Rheem 8yr Pro water heaters are a rip off. You get just as good if not better in a 6 year Bradford White than an 8 yr Rheem. But some customers do shop by warranty and I let them make their choices.
I do believe that in Rheem (GE) water heaters the anode changes with the warranty.

Author: NICK (CA)

I usually install bradford white. They come with 6 year but they do stock or can get a ten year. Those units are already documented with the serial number that they are a ten year. My supply didnt have a ten year as requested by a customer 2 months ago so they sell you a warranty package that you mail in and it comes with a ten year sticker you put on the heater. I believe this cost for the extra 4 years was $130.00 + tax. At least in this case, the 6 year and 10 year heaters are identical as NC plumber stated. You are just paying for the warranty. I personally dont think it's worth the money to cover these 4 years. And labor isn't covered.

My wholesaler takes in the old heaters from a replacement, and the receive almost the same number of BW heaters as Rheem/Ruud, AO Smith, etc. The life of the heater is more a function of the use it gets and the water quality, than anything else.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.