Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Flow restricted faucets.
Author: geosinner101 (NJ)

Am I correct in thinking all or most kitchen faucets are now flow resticted to conserve water? My rather low community water pressure combined with a water softener and tankless water heater, combined with a newly installed faucet tends to give me less than desirable pressure at the kitchen sink. Just wondered if anyone makes a full flow faucet set? And yes, I have checked the faucet screen.

Re: Flow restricted faucets.
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Federal law for many years has restricted all faucets to 2.2 GPM max. These days, it is common to use 1.5 or even down to 0.5 in a lav sink, but I never recommend low flow for a kitchen, because you need to fill a pot, and it it's a gallon then it's a gallon, and if you make it take 4 min. to fill instead of 30 seconds, all you have done is pissed someone off but not saved any water!

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

If you tried the Al Gore squad would show up and throw you in jail...You'd probably be sharing a cell w/ AlQaeda in Illinois.

cant get a faucet w/ a different flow for a kitchen.

my suggestion is to search for a rough brass laundry tub faucet..they are full flow.....or a whirlpool faucet...you can get them in 3/4" feed..you could fill your kitchen sinks in 30 seconds or less

Ill bet you could get a whirlpool faucet to work somehow

Author: dlh (TX)

the flow restriction in faucets are normally in the aerator. so if you can find a higher flow aerator that will fit your faucet that may help

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: hj (AZ)

And, if you have a low cold water flow the disposer is not going to flush down the drain properly. IF you can find an aerator with a removable flow restrictor, that fits your faucet, that will solve the problem. That is the only kind of aerator I carry on my truck, and I ALWAYS discard the restrictor.

quote; my suggestion is to search for a rough brass laundry tub faucet..they are full flow.....or a whirlpool faucet...you can get them in 3/4" feed..you could fill your kitchen sinks in 30 seconds or less
Ill bet you could get a whirlpool faucet to work somehow

And if he did, his next job would be to convince his wife that it "looks good", Especially when she tried to rotate that "whirlpool faucet" from side to side.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

it was a creative solution eh? you have to admitt that..

you could put a plastic mounting block ontop the sink and use that rough brass laundry faucet....it would move from side to side...

The last American Standard Whirlpool faucet i installed had a spout which moved even after i tighted it so much you could hear cracking sounds on the tub.......notice i said 'last'...i refuse to install them now

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

In most cases you can alter the faucet to bring it up to an acceptable flow rate.which type faucet do you have?

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

What kind of faucet is being discussed? Is it a pull-out?

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

With all due respect to you. Are you asking us how to break the Federal Law requiring faucet flow? Licensed Plumbers are the protectors of the water supply. Its like asking a cop to look the other way as you speed thru a Red Light at a busy intersection.
The additional pressure, combined with the water supply should provide you with even flow and watering savings that also translate into the excess water that goes into your metered service.
It defeats the purpose of this website in trying to help and assist homeowners. (sorry if I sound like al gore, but its an issue beyond him, its a federal law)

Best Wishes

Analogical clarification
Author: Mr Boffo (--)

It's true licensed plumbers are accountable to champion the cause of water conservation, however they are not enforcers of the cause. Using your analogy, the plumber would have to be the installer of the traffic light, which is a device designed to regulate the flow of traffic. The Plumbing Regulating Board, in conjunction with law makers, would mandate the requirement of the traffic light. The plumbing inspector, representative of the legislature, would be charged with overseeing the correct installation of the traffic light, and prosecuting those who choose to compromise the function of the traffic light.

The plumber is as equally obligated to adhere to the law as the consumer is. The plumber has no other authority than this.

quote; you could put a plastic mounting block ontop the sink and use that rough brass laundry faucet....it would move from side to side...
The last American Standard Whirlpool faucet i installed had a spout which moved even after i tighted it so much you could hear cracking sounds on the tub.......

I can just see a prostpective buyer coming into the house and looking at a rough brass laundry faucet mounted on a block of wood, (or a Roman tub faucet that was left loose so the spout would swing), right next to the 48" SubZero refrigerator and the Wolf dual fuel range.

Good luck doing that if the restriction is NOT in the aerator.

So was the 55 mile speed limit years ago, and I suppose you NEVER broke it. My daughter asked me one time why my Toyota Supra could only go 85 mph, regardless of how far she pressed the gas pedal. I told her that 85 was where Toyota stopped displaying the speed, but that she was probably going about 120. As previously stated, most kitchen faucets are used to fill the sink or pans, and all flow restriction does is lenghten the time it takes, not how much water is used. Laws are often made to placate some vociferous group or organization, such as Nader's Raiders, with little real input, or thought, as to their efficacy.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Scott D. Plumber (VA)

Your first clue is there and nobody asked yet...What IS your water pressure?

"Junk in Junk out"

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Give your kids a great start on the future! Encourage them learn a trade. Even if they go on to do other things, it's always nice to know that they have something to fall back on. Call your local technical training center or trade school to learn more.

Author: geosinner101 (NJ)

Thanks for all the input! Had no intention of starting WW3. If you read my original post, I only asked if most new faucets were flow restricted and if anyone made a non restricted faucet set. My water is supplied by a community owned gravity fed system. Incoming pressure is probably only 35psi. My water softener and tankless heated do nothing to enhance the pressure thru the flow restricted faucet. We certainly can live with the 'problem' but certainly appreciate everyones input.

They do not MAKE nonrestricted sets, but as my previous post indicated, there are aerators which CONVERT them to nonrestricted.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

you may have every right to remove un-needed components of your faucet to bring it to a acceptable flow rate.And as said if you have a item number name description .I can help!many faucets right out of the box do not meet the gpm they are governed to. aerator tips ,that may have over compressed washers blocking off the flow.supply tube connections that have rubber washers blocking the flow. diver tors not fully functioning reducing the flow to both the spout and sprayer.Pull out types with check valves that are not functioning in the hose inlet and or outlet.swivel adapters also may have spring checks or restrict ors that are not functioning properly.I find that 2.2 gallons of flow is welcome by most customers and like you the people who are not satisfied have a good reason .so again if you are not getting to fill a two gallon bucket in one minute, from this faucet please post the name brand and product number.!!

Author: jerryhope (LA)

I cook for a large family. I use large staock pots and pans.. Filling and cleaning is a major PIA with my restricted flow faucet.. I do not intend to use MORE water, I just need to use faster !!!!

I have a Price Pfister Marielle Mdl 26-4NX

I need MORE flow The older aeriator had a restriction, but the newer one doesn't allow me to modify it. I can remove it and there is no increase in flow

Bypassing the diverter valve also has no effect How can I increase flow or if not possible where can I get a Kitchen faucet that will help me

Thanks
Jerry

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.