Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 front load washer & water hammer
Author: orange (ND)

Since the installation of our new front load washer we have terrible watter hammer. I did some reading and it could be caused by a number of things. I have already installed water hammer arrestors and still the water hammer is happening. Another cause might be undersized pipes or water flow to fast.

Are there any water flow regulator that can screw on between my tap and hose to the washer like I tried with the water hammer arrstor?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

thankd

Seemed to have solved the problem...we always wash in cold water so I thought why leave the hot water on and turned off the hot water to the washer. I have since learned that the front load washer (regardless of the fact the wash is done in cold)...used hot water on the 3rd fill in order to flush the landry soap out of the dispenser. In my case the hot water valve opened up and when no water can it closed quickly causes the vibrations in the pipes. I have since turned on the hot water taps and still do my washes in cold water...except this time not thumps (water hammer).....

Who knew!

Edited 2 times.

Re: front load washer & water hammer
Author: steve (CA)

When does the "hammer" occur and has the water pressure been checked?

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Until you find out what's causing it, try to throttle down the WM water inlet valve(s), see if it helps.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: redwood (CT)

Steve raises 2 important points.

1 When does it occur?

Water hammer occurs when a high velocity flow of water comes to a sudden stop. This would be when the washer stops filling. Banging noises that occur at other times are not water hammer and would have other causes.

2 What is the pressure?

High pressure can cause higher velocity flows than normal and with that an increased occurrence of water hammer. Please pick up a pressure gauge and give us an actual pressure measurement in psi. Many hardware stores and home centers have gauges for sale that screw onto hose bibbs. Our forum sponsor also has them. [www.plumbingsupply.com]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: dlh (TX)

ill go all in on teh washer valve closing to fast

they make an external hammer arrestor just for the washing machine

they are on this page from our sponsors site
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: hj (AZ)

Where did you place the hammer arrestors? If they are not at the washing machine they are doing nothing to prevent it.

Author: orange (ND)

I installed a water hammer arrestor right at the source (between the water shut off and the washer hose. I also found at a local supply store a water pressure reducer (factor set at 45psi) and put that on...still not solution on both fronts.

Basically the front-loader fills up 3-times before it starts washing clothes. The first two cycles or water fill-up and shut-off and relatively quiet. However, the third is really really loud. All three fill up cycles seem to put in the same amount of water...

I have no idea what the solution is. Our dishwasher kind of has a loud bang with each of its water cycle. So it could be the water pressure.

I will get one of those water pressure readers and get back to you both.

Is there any way to adjust something in the front load washer?

Also a few years ago I had a new gas water heater installed. Around that time I notice the dishwater start making a noise at water shut off. Could the water heater installation have increase the pressure in the water lines any?

thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Please check to be sure the noises are not being caused by poly supply jump at the fixture or undersized passages in the hoses causing them to move at stop points of self closing valves.Although hammer arrestors will protect the plumbing from water hammer they will do little to fix poor supply line sizing after them.Good Luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.