Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Studor vents not working - is there a different kind?
Author: msi (GA)

I brought in a licensed "master plumber" to gut and bring a home up to current code. It was permitted and inspected. I now have 4 "stupid" STUDOR vents venting my very slow draining and burping plumbing system. I called him back to handle it. His guys unscrewed the "stupid" vent and everything worked fine. Replaced the vents with a new vents and the same symptoms occur a very slow drain and the noises in the master bath are back. Unscrew the vents and again the symptoms disappear.

Question: is there a different style or type of studor vent that could be used or will it have to be vented outside? The studor vents used are STUDOR MINI VENTs.

Question2: Is this blockage problem?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Studor vents not working - is there a different kind?
Author: dlh (TX)

no one on this particular site condones air admittance valves excpet in extreme circumstances. they are a handyman/cheap way of plumbing and as you have found out can cause more problems than they are worth. you should have at least one vent pipe going to the atmosphere.

if the vent pipe can be ran to the atmosphere that is what should be done.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

wel, i guess we know why they are illegal in mass..
you should call the local inspector who inspected and passed the job. don't take "well, they are code compliant" for an answer. if need be, call your state plumbing board.
next, send a link on this subject to studor company. they would be very interested to read what "quality" plumbers think about their product and how well their product performs.

Edited 1 times.

Author: redwood (CT)

Hmmm Sounds like some drain cleaning and real venting is needed...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i have good luck with Oatey Surevents...they seem to be made alittle better.

studor vents should always be avoided. I only use them on kitchen islands and basement bathrooms when there is no vent dropped from the first floor.

i cant think of any reason that any house should have more than 1

I can't think of why any house should have more than none!
Except if they have lazy plumbers and cheap builders...

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

If the drains work without the Studor vents, but not with them then there is a stoppage problem and maybe an installation problem also if EVERY stack has a Studor vent.

Have more than one what? If they are allowed why not use them everywhere except for the one atmostpheric vent required. You can either save a lot of money, or make a lot depending on whether you pass the savings on to the customer.

Edited 1 times.

I'm just allergic to hack plumbing...

It is not going to go away as long as there is an IPC, so you may have to stock up on Benadryl.

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Wauk, I CAN'T think of a reason a house SHOULD EVEN HAVE 1, I have only encountered 2 remodels where it was structurally IMPOSSIBLE to have an atmospheric vent, and NEVER ON NEW CONSTRUCTION.
It is the CHEAP,LAZY WAY OUT, they should be BANNED except in VERY extreme circunstances.
Regarding this post.... HJ has hit the nail on the head, The problem is MOST likely NOT the POS STUDOR VENTS, it is MOST LIKELY a problem with the drain line downstream of the lazy plumber's attempt at a vent.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Yep, you need to let the air out so the waste can flood the clogged line.

At least an atmospheric vent will allow the sink to drain and add to the flooded line. That way you do not try to clear the nondraining sink drain when the problem is elsewhere.

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

AAV's or Studor vents only allow air INTO the pipes. A true atmospheric vent will allow air to flow IN and OUT of your drain system. Your slow burping drains (which work fine without the AAV's) are telling you they need BETTER venting.

OLD house remodel jobs can be a real pain to run new vents. In general, you DO need to plumb in these atmospheric vents. There are limited cases where an AAV (assuming it's legal) can provide acceptable performance. BUT, this only works when the rest of the drain/vent system allows it to.

Your plumber "cheaped" out on you. Some (or all) of the AAV's need to be replaced by real vents.

Run enough water into the line with the AAV removed you will see that the line is clogged.

Author: twoods (VA)

I live in a recently historically rehabilitated 1300 sq. ft. condo. I discovered they used 3 of these Ayrlett vents (www.ayrlett.com/aav/products.html) after tring to figure out why the pipes whistle when I flush one of my toilets. It's not that bad and that is the only issue with these vents for me that I am aware of. One of the Ayrelett vents is in the kitchen island, and the other two are under a dual sink, one beside each sink. I am uncertain if they used these in every unit in my building. In this case it is up against a structural brick wall that divides one building from the next, however they WERE able to put electrical outlets in between that wall and the drywall inside my unit, so I wonder if it could have been vented outside. If you remove the Ayrlett vent (which they did not glue in place; not sure if they were supposed to), the noise is still there but without the whistle. I wrote Ayrlett about the noise and their reply was "the code says the AAV should be at least 4 inches above the trap. If there is more room under the sink, try putting the AAV up higher." It is already just over 4 inches above the trap. ... Even if they did use these vents in every unit, I assume there is a master vent somewhere to the outside?

Edited 1 times.

There has NEVER been a building that conventional vents could not be installed. Your vents were used to save time and money, although the savings may not have been passed on to you by the plumber and/or the builder. Assuming there is at least the one required vent in your unit may be giving them too much credit, because they may have installed just one in the entire bank of units and said it fulfills the requirement.

Author: dlh (TX)

get off the ipc hj, the upc allows them now to i believe

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: Plumber Dave (IN)

That's Right Stupid Studer Vents,if you can get a vent to the outside air you should.
You need both negative and positive pressure in your plumbing system for it to work correctly.
Studer vent only let's air in,most problems come when you try to include a Toilet on that vent system.
STUPID STUDER VENT!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.