Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Only in...
Author: e-plumber (NY)

...you know where.

Another funny thing I saw that day was a duct tape display, in the same aisle...

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Re: Only in...
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You are killing me .Friday 3.00 p.m. Install new home owner supplied white acrylic double bowl ks.cracked!!! Pull it out so customer can return it.I'm going to charge her because I did not see the crack in the sink???YES,again,YES ,No shut off valves,Ice maker on a p p t. No, The big box better watch It's collective profit.Or the little guy's are going to eat it up.Good Luck.She paid 98.00 at h.d.for 200.Nightmare.

We didn't use it..
Author: Mr Boffo (--)

It's all pre-primed for the next guy!

Author: hj (AZ)

Honest injun, it was like that when I got it.

YES,again,YES ,No shut off valves,Ice maker on a p p t. No,

Why no shut off valves? You are supposed to install them when you connect the sink. What is a p p t? And why NO?

Author: redwood (CT)

It's something new big box is going to start pushing...
Just like those pre-soldered connectors they had...
Now they have pre-primered PVC!
It only costs a little more but it sure is worth it!laugh

We at Big Box continue to serve our customers by offering innovative, quality items, that save you time on your projects!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 2 times.

But it could make dry fitting even dicier because the pipe will go into the fittings even less that with the nonpreprimed ones.

Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Someone I know asked me why I always re-prime pre-primed fittings. "I'm just wondering why you keep priming those since they have already been primed."

I'm doing that because the prime on the fittings is quite dry by the time I'm getting them to add glue. I was told by someone else that the primer should be in a tacky state, not a dry one at which point you put the glue on.

Someone replied, "I've been around for quite a while and we used to use glue only." "These guys just made this primer stuff up to make more money."

I'm wondering if they used to make the glue and primer combined and later changed it to what we have now.

5/17/8, 10:36pm

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

I always wondered why you don't have to prime the Flowguard Gold CPVC and the fire protection guys don't have to prime their water lines either (Blazemaster?). These things are high pressure and don't require primer, yet our pvc dwv does?

Someone replied, "I've been around for quite a while and we used to use glue only." "These guys just made this primer stuff up to make more money."

I'm wondering if they used to make the glue and primer combined and later changed it to what we have now.

Nope, it has always been primer then glue, but I have repaired hundreds of old connections that were assembled by people who didn't want to use that "useless primer stuff".

Unless they are using a different cement, it does call for primer. They are just playing Russian Roulette with their systems and hope it doesn't leak during the warranty period.

Author: redwood (CT)

Before many states adopted the purple primer requirements many hackers skipped priming. They then tried to fool the system by mixing the 2 steps. In any case I have repaired many joints that were improperly prepared. Not doing it the right way is a hack job that has a highly increased failure rate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: dlh (TX)

yep the manufacturers have always stated to use primer before cement but many hard headed plumbers thought they knew better than the people with phd's in chemistry plus the fact it would cost a few more pennies to do a job.

these guys were not repair plumbers and do not see that cement alone will harden and crack much sooner than the pvc since it isnt bonded to it. kind of like soldering without flux.

as for the flowguard gold and such it does say no primer needed unless your locality requires it. why it is different i dont know but different pipe different way of fastening it is all i can come up with

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

I would follow the specifications on the CPVC glue can, rather than the pipe manufacturer's recommendation. If the glue says use primer, do it.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

The glue,Cpvc ,goldbond has it's own brand,and warranties imply it's failures .The worst thing cpvc hackers do is over apply glue.Pvc.beautiful blue glue.Rain or shine cement,If you can afford the best ,rely on it with or with out test.No primer!Yes that is true.Cost will control most users.Good Luck.I don't leave home with out it.Glue a joint under water,O'Baby.Three different inspection departments,now believe.Great for use on those under moisture installs that must be made.

How do you apply glue to a joint underwater? If I tried it the glue would gel as soon as the dauber was submerged.

Author: birddoggiest (ID)

We also don't have to use primer unless it is pressure pipe and as long as it is the blue glue.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.