Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 venting laundry
Author: rhag (IL)

My wife has a dandy new location for our laundry. But venting it may be tough. I think I have room to fish one 2 inch pipe into the basement, at which point and I'll have a 3 ft drop to an existing 4" drain pipe. So I'll have only about a 6ft branch length, and pretty much straight down.

Going up with a vent would be a huge project. Best I can come up with is to put a trap in the basement, just below the joists. I would then have about a 15 foot horizontal run to a chase where I could get up to vent. Would that trap be considered too far below the laundry inlet? Any reason the 15 ft horizontal vent pipe would be a problem?

I'm not going to invite the inspector to look this over, but I don't want to do anything unsafe or out of code either.

Re: venting laundry
Author: redwood (CT)

You definitely wouldn't want to invite the inspector over to see your job as proposed.

It needs a vent... Where there is a will there is a way!
The trap cannot be below the floor.
THe vent cannot be horizontal without being (?"winking smiley above the flood rim or in this case top of the standpipe.
(?"winking smiley=check with your local code.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: packy (MA)

if venting is impossible, you could treat the washing machine drain as if it were an island sink.

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

You need someone to check on your work to make sure it's done right, just hire a licensed plumber to take a good look at it after you do it.embarrassed

4-14-08, 4:38pm

3 years before Google started PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Thanks for the help. I wondered about a loop vent, but I wasn't sure if they were permitted for other that island sinks. If I were to use one, I still have to get above the standpipe before I tie in to the vent system, no?

Getting up to the venting system in a conventional manner actually isn't that difficult in this case. But the risk to some delicate interior details on an historic house makes me want to exhaust all other possiblities before I start opening up walls.

I may actually use a plumber on this one. But I want to know what I'm talking about before I have one in.

Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but, with island venting as proposed by Packy you would not need to get that nearby vent configuration above the flood level rim of the fixture or in this case above the top of the stand pipe. However you would probably be well advised to make sure that the drain connected to this configuration gets attached to the closest vent or run a vent as close to the set up as possible. The vent serving this drain should not make it's horizontal turn until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture it serves.

Getting a Plumber to get their eyes on this is a great idea and it's nice for you to be prepared to let them in on the details but, a licensed one should know what to do.

Author: dlh (TX)

yes they are for true island sinks only. unless you can prove to the inspector that no other way was possible!

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: dlh (TX)

no eric you would not have to get it above the flood rim. as you can see in packy's pic. it runs under the floor.

no you would not need the drain to connect near another vent because you install the vent and if you notice there is a clean out on both sides the vent and drain, plus there should be one on the vent going up the wall although that pic. does not show one

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

you can't loop the vent higher than the flood rim in an island installation but you can and should for an open laundry connection. chances are the inspector would let this fly.

I really appreciate all the ideas. Even if I use a licensed plumber, I've learned from bitter experience the I need to do my homework, particularly with historic houses.

good luck.. my house is circa 1760. i can't do anything without getting the approval of the hysterical oops i mean the historical commission.
i cut a motorized vent fan into my attic roof. they had a fit. i asked them if they prefered the attic temperature went to 150 deg and started a fire?

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I did not see the a.a.v. option.I think they do that up there.Good Luck.Nice daul outlet washing machine box .One outlet the drain the other the aav.

Author: redwood (CT)

I knew sooner or, later this thread would degenerate into "Tin House on Wheels Plumbing!"

Lemon, How many AAV's do you install a week?

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 2 times.

Sorry .Red.Could not stop myself.My 1924 model tin roof job .Has an auto vent on the washing machine.Also am in a historical area.Good luck.I did pour a little cement around the open cinder blocks that have been holding this 2 story shack up.

AAV? just don't forget to put a floor drain as well! when the washer pumps out so fast and there is no where for the air pressure build-up to escape, it's gonna overflow.

Author: hj (AZ)

I missed a picture, but if the AAV is installed on the second inlet, then it is just as effective as connecting a vent to the tub's overflow pipe and expecting it to do the job. The second inlet is usually for something like a softener discharge, or a water heater T&P valve.

H.J. close to the configuration.san tee with trap as w.m. normal. riser to second outlet with aav.It''''''''s not a bad ideal to put a floor drain in a utility area of the home.Good Luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.