Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 bathroom remodel/addition
Author: randy (CA)

how do i connect?the pvc sch40 is loose fitting

Re: bathroom remodel/addition
Author: hj (AZ)

If you clean the hub real good, you may find a "donut" that works. I would have put a short piece of cast iron in with a lead joint, and then tranisitioned that to the ABS.

Author: packy (MA)

a couple of wraps of oakum amd some lead wool would do it.
[eheritage.statelibrary.tas.gov.au]
[www.gravitaindia.com]
tap it in with an iron like one of these.
[www.mephistotool.com]

I have pounded and caulked lead wool many times and the only thing I ended up with was compressed lead wool, which still looked like lead wool, not melted and poured lead.

Author: jerco (MD)

I was told, by the old timers, that it was the heat from the melted lead that released the oil in the oakum that made the seal.

Author: packy (MA)

that's not my understanding. the oakum is tightly packed and the lead locks it in place. the water hits the oakum, swells it and this makes the seal.
when we used to test a soil pipe job with water, we always filled the system the night before. there were usually a few leaks. in the morning, magically, the leaks were gone.

Author: jerco (MD)

You know what Packy, that makes a lot of sense to me. They used to use oakum between the wood planks on boats right, and I don't think they heated it to make it expand (can you say fire hazard) and make a seal but simply dropped into the water. I guess our old timers weren't exactly rocket scientists.

Author: jjbex (IL)

I would use a donut type gasket or a PVC soil adapter. I don't like make lead joints using bald pipe. the oakum has a tendency to get pushed past the hub into the pipe, because there is no lip on the baldy.

------------------

"You can't get there from here"
Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

Can't happen if the pipe is cut square and is sitting on the bottom of the hub.

Author: jjbex (IL)

In that situation, it might be ok. I have had problems when it's a short piece of pipe with no weight to keep it in place.

------------------

"You can't get there from here"
Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

I wouldn't try to pour a lead joint around plastic anyway. The heat would melt and soften the pipe, then caulking it would just collapse it rather than tightening the joint.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.