Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Updated: Combo Washer / Dryer Hookup & moving pipes
Author: heyma (MA)

Hi:

(New to here and have searched old posts already)

I've ordered a LG washer and dryer combo that is ventless so that it can be used in my condo. W/D are allowed. The W/D uses standard 120v outlets and allows for water pressure from 4 psi up.

I was hoping you guys could help find the best way to hook it up to the water supply and drain.

Here's the W/D. It's a single unit:

Here is the setup in my condo:

Here are some pictures from the LG manual:

Hot and Cold hookup:

Drain hookup:

Here's what it looks like under my kitchen sink:

The area behind the base cabinets under the kitchen sink is not sealed off and expose the studs of the walls. I was hoping to open a hole in the back of the closet and snake the Cold, Hot, and Drain hoses to the kitchen and tap into what's already there for the sink. If tapping into the Bathroom pipes is the way to go, I will have to punch a hole in the wall between the Bathroom and Closet.

The W/D Drain hose is exactly the same as the Dishwasher's, which you can see in the picture above. If I attach a "tee" to the Cold and Hot supply in the kitchen, how would you recommend I attach the Drain?

Please offer any advice and ideas you have. If you think it's do-able without hiring a plumber, I'm confident I can get this done right as long as I have proper directions.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Advice Needed: Combo Washer / Dryer Hookup
Author: redwood (CT)

Don't worry about lances reply it didn't make sense to me either. your pictures are not working. Put after each url for them to work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Hmmm, the pics are showing up on my screen (the

Nope try putting them on photobucket.com its free.

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Translation
Author: steve (CA)

Use a dishwasher tailpiece wye/tee above the trap for the kitchen sink.

Re: Translation
Author: lance kirk (FL)

yep thats what i almost said thanks

Photobucket [img] links added

Are the pics showing up now?

Re: Photobucket [img] links added
Author: dlh (TX)

i can see them

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Re: WYE

If I tie the washer's drain hose to a Wye above the trap, will drain water from the kitchen sink ever "back up" into the washer's drain hose? Is there a check valve I can install?

For that matter, will drain water ever back up into the Dishwasher's drain hose?

Thanks

I got them! Washer drains like a dishwasher thats a new one to me.

Author: packy (MA)

i installed one of those a couple of years ago. i removed a built-in dishwasher and the washing machine slid into the opening. that's how this one was designed. 24"wide.
drain this machine right into the sanitary tee under the sink. there must have been a double bowl set up before.

Author: hj (AZ)

That all depends on how the drain hose is configured inside the washer. It could have a raised loop or check valve to discourage, but not necessarily prevent, a backup.

I'm not sure if the washer itself has a check valve to prevent sink water from entering the washer. Is there a check valve I can buy and install at the Wye to be safe?

Also, if I install a Wye between the disposal and the trap, will there be any problems?

Author: packy (MA)

yes, there is a check valve you can use but if you loop the drain hose way up high under the cabinet, the sink would have to, literally, overflow before anything would back up into the washer.
if you install a branch tailpiece above the trap, it would be one of these.
[media.mydoitbest.com]
using one of these is how LG recommends you do it.

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Hope it's not being inspected.eye rolling smiley

Please explain? I'm open to all ideas and opinions and would like to do it right.

Author: joint-runner (MA)

heyma,Don't worry.Alot of People including myself have installed this way but it won't pass code.You simply can not discharge a washing machine into a Kitchen drain in this Great state of owers.

Update:

So I received and temporarily hooked up the washer/dryer to the kitchen sink's plumbing.

Some questions:

- The W/D spins really fast and shakes the floor. What can I do to the floor to minimize the shaking? The manual says to "reinforce" the floor, but how? The W/D will eventually be in a closet - should screw down a wooden board over a dense foam material?

- I will be replacing the current cabinets with new ones. The kitchen sink will be moved about 10-15" to the right. Should I hire a plumber for this? And how much will it generally costs? I'm by Boston, MA.

Thanks.

You can probably reinforce the floor by simply putting a piece of plywood srewed down to the existing floor under the washer.

As for the plumbing work you will want a plumber for that and we are not permitted to discuss pricing in this forum. Mass. has a law prohibiting homeowners from doing plumbing work on their home of this magnatude.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.