Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathroom drain questions Help!
Author: sandyman720 (NJ)

Hello,

I am going to put a bathroom in my garage. I have a cast iron soil stack in the corner of the garage that I can use. I was going to cut into and insert a PVC adapter. I was then going to drain the toilet and the sink into that.

My question is: Will this work? Do I have to vent anything?

Will it be code? My town uses the 2003 national standard plumbing code.

Any comments will help! Thanks!!!

Re: Bathroom drain questions Help!
Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

I'm thinking your toilet and sink are going to be close together. It will work and meet code as long as you backvent the sink into the vent stack or through it's own system.

Author: hj (AZ)

You have to vent EVERYTHING, but how you do it depends on your code and how you install the piping.

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

You just need to vent the lav, as this will also serve as the vent for the toilet.

Author: jstdve (FL)

I am under the impression that toilets need a (minimum) 2 inch vent ?
and that the 3x2 should be ' rolled upwards a minimum amount of degrees ?

Hey , I'll ask if you'll tell !

Author: dlh (TX)

45* is standard. basically you just need enough to get the vent above the drain

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

As Shown, No, it would not pass, I am not a NJ code expert, However, you are using a HEEL inlet with an undersized wet vent, Also you are trying to place PLASTIC between 2 pieces of HEAVY cast iron, until recently MOST inspectors that I know, would not allow that. It has worked for years (I can hear it now)(Heels, that is), from your drawing it looks like you have room for at least one WYE 3x3x2 with the 2" running to the lav to a 2x2x1.5 santee and continuing up as 2" and tying into the NEW 3" plastic with a 3x3x2 above ceiling level. Since you should replace all verticle stack piping ABOVE the installation of the FIRST PIECE of plastic.

You NEED TO CONTACT YOUR LOCAL INSPECTOR to be sure they will pass it, OH BTW if you do then you also need to pull the proper permits for the job.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: hj (AZ)

I would install a 3" tee, rather than a Y. Then run the line to the lavatory location with an elbow on it. A 3" street tee into the elbow pointed/angled to the toilet location with a 4x3 spigot closet bend for the toilet. Then a 3x2 bushing in the top of the tee and a 2x1 1/2" tee for the lavatory, with a vent off the top of the tee.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.