Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Delta 642 to 644 Conversion
Author: PlumbingMar81-2 (OR)

Hi Gang,

Does anyone know how to convert an existing Delta 642 tub/shower faucet into a 644 Scald-Guard equivalent? I would like to do something as such, because I have two 642s installed and still working.

The reason I want to make the switch to Scald-Guard is because I don't want to accidentally have hot water.

If anyone has any suggestions as to this issue, please drop me a line on or off the board.

Thank you,
Benjamin Edge

Re: Delta 642 to 644 Conversion
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

I do not find any model 644 on the Delta website. But the 642 is a Classic series, standard valve. There is not way to convert this to a pressure balanced type. You must replace the entire valve.

Author: steve (CA)

You could install a separate pressure balancer or temp limiter.

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Hi Gang,

The 642 and Scald-Guard 644 are identical only in exterior (outside) appearance. Which means that, the only parts I'd be saving are the clear knob, the escutcheon and its two mounting screws. Correct?

Only trouble is, though, how do I remove the standard valve and replace it with a Scald-Guard one as used for former SG models 603, 604, 613, 614, 623, 624, 637, 638, 643 and 644?

Benjamin

Author: Anonymous User

I have only done it the way Steve recommended and it works great on any type of tub and shower faucet, one or two handle.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

The 600 series is still available in standard function, I believe; but the 600 series ScaldGuards do not seem to be available. The current 1300 and 1700 Monitor series are the Scald Guard models.

In the 600 ScaldGuard, the pressure balance spool was located to the side of the on-off-volume control. Obviously there is no way to convert from non-scald guard to Scald Guard.

To replace the valve body requires access in the wall. If you can get at it through the back side, that will avoid damaging the tile or other material in the shower side. The valve is likely soldered in place, and some rearrangement of the pipes is usually required to fit a new model.

There is the external mixing valve already referenced as an alternative to replacing the shower valve. The link mentions that it is not compatible with a Moen Chateau., and I don't understand what that problem would be.

Post Edited

Hi,

If buying an SG series faucet is your perfect answer for replacing the entire faucet, then if I have to go out with the old and in with the new, I might as well buy a series 1348 faucet. Correct?

Benjamin

Author: e-plumber (NY)

I believe that the 1300 series is on the low end when it comes to pressure balanced Delta shower valves. I would suggest the 1700 series, the shower/tub valves have separate volume/temperature adjustments which is very nice.

e-plumber

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Hi,

Does anyone here at home still have a perfect 600 series SG Delta faucet, or one of the 1600 series Delta Mix series SG faucets?

Has anyone here worked on the 600 and 1600 series SG faucets before?

Ben (PlumbingMar81-2)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.