Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to remove calcium/lime from toilet?
Author: Anonymous User

I've got hard water (hopefully in the next month or so I'll be installing a water softener).

Anyway, the toilet tanks have nasty lime/calcium build-up in them.

What's the best way to remove the build-up?

Every CLR/Lime/Calcium remover I've come across says to NOT use on porcelein.

Thanks!

--kevin

Re: How to remove calcium/lime from toilet?
Author: pzqk7j (AZ)

How old is the house, how long has been without a softener, and what type of pipe do you have? There is no easy way that I know of to remove calcium build up in pipes or fixtures. I would re-pipe to those runs where it makes the most sense, where you really want/need clean, softened water.

Re: How to remove calcium/lime from toil

When I bought my house 4 years ago, one toilet had a terrible time with plugging. Sometimes I swear even pee would plug it. While doing a little work in that bathroom, mainly linoleum, I took the toilet out into the yard to spray off and out real good with a hose. I can't guess how much calcium came out of that thing, but there was a lot. Since I put it back in, I have had no problems with plugging (and it has nothing to do with taking metamucil).

So the answer is: a high pressure garden hose.

Author: Wantnheat (PA)

This is how I fixed mine when my w/softener wasn't working. I used CLR and Limeaway to soften it. Then I put on playtex rubber gloves grabbed a flexible metal putty knife and went at it.

Just don't be too rough or you can ruin the porc. You can try a plastic one first but that stuff is tough. As long as you keep the w/softener running it should not build-up again.

Author: jjbex (IL)

I pour muriatic acid down the overflow tube. If you do this, you need to wear PPE and ventilate the fumes.

Peace out,

Kordts

Re: How to remove calcium/lime from toilet?
Author: hj (AZ)

When they say "porcelain" they are referring to the finish on cast iron and steel tubs and sinks. Your toilet is glazed china. I use muriatic acid all the time to clean out toilets. If you use it, the fumes are hazardous and it will burn if you splash it on your clothes or skin.

The house was built in 1955. 95% of the copper was redone by me when I upsized to 3/4" in order to put in the 2nd floor bathroom (I say 95% done because I wasn't able to replace the copper directly to the kitchen/bathroom, just the 3/4 that went to the "feed" and then the fitting to bring it to 1/2). This was done about 3 years ago.

Anyway, the calcium/lime is on the INSIDE of the tank and it's not "thick", but it does seem to affect the parts inside it.

Obviously the softener will help (when I get it installed), but thanks for responding to what they mean when they say, do not use on porcelein.

So a little diluted CLR and let it soak should do the trick.

I'm not sure if it's calcium or lime. The faucet heads have white "poopies" on them (I think that's lime) and the inside of the toilet tanks--one is 3 years and the other is 5 years old) have a reddish film on things. I think that's the calcium?

Author: hj (AZ)

I have never seen lime on the inside of a tank, nor can I visualize how it could have any effect on the internal parts or flushing of the toilet.

Author: Crash

The red on the inside of the toilet is iron i bet! get your water tested & see what you need (you need to test it to size your softener anyway) good luck!

Author: Buffy Helmet (CA)

yeah! & if youre still squeamish the cheapest, slightly milder acid is good ol' white vinegar

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.