Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 plumbing sinks without overflow
Author: Anonymous User

I have a Bertch sink without an overflow. The delta faucet I purchased has the holes in the drain flange that work with the overflow. Is there a way to seal these holes and prevent the water from passing through them and directly contacting the unfinished sink material? I'm assuming delta probably has a solid flange as well, but I haven't checked yet.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: plumbing sinks without overflow
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

You cannot install the standard drain in your sink. You must get a drain made for sinks with no overflow. They are eadily available.

Author: Barry (MI)

Most codes do not allow a lav without an overflow. Check your local codes, you may have to change the lav rather than the drain.

Author: hj (AZ)

Many cultured marble and most "bowl" sinks do not have overflows and they are legal. One problem with the bowl sink is that there are few pop-up drains that fit them. Most are push/pull with a knob on the plug. Another problem with any non-overflow sink is that a bubble of air can get trapped between the sink and the trap, and without an overflow to let the air escape the sink will drain very slowly. If the air can finally be evacuted the the sink will start to drain faster.

i put in a vanity/marble top yesterday that
had no overflow,why is that?what if a kid let the water running?and you say this is legal?iv'e also heard you can get a staff infection from an overflow?

Author: rudythplbr45

I am having trouble imagining a lav sink w/no overflow. Some sinks come w/a flexible tube that joins the drain above (before) the trap, and with a cast marble sink, usually has an overflow cast into the sink.
Are u sure there is no overflow? Perhaps the casting is so thick that the bulge an overflow would make normally, is disguised by the thickness of the casting. But there should be holes in the interior of the bowl, just under the rim of the sink.
If not, SEND IT BACK!!, and request a code compliant fixture; as another said in this forum, he didn't think that the Plbg. code allowed sinks w/o an overflow. The reason being there is a possibily of no air gap between the water surface in a full bowl and the faucet discharge.
Good Luck,
Rudy

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Bowl-type sinks mounted on a fancy countertop are all the rage. It is just a bowl, often glass, etc. There is deifinetly no overflow in them. You use a grid drain w/o overflow, readily available.

Geberit makes a pop-up drain that will work on a vessel sink (less overflow). It comes in most popular finishes.

Author: Buffy Helmet (CA)

ya know, i was wondering about this very subject... isnt the "overflow" feature of your typical bathroom basin a code requirement? & if so, how can the new bowl-type basins be legally installed?

or am i thinking of code the wrong way? is it more that code requires a contingency for an overflow situation & one accepted method developed into an ind std? if this is more accurate, it still begs the question of how the new style basins can be legally installed.

jimmy-o, please explain, what's a grid drain?

Post Edited

If the kid left the water running it would still overflow. Most overflows will only handle a small flow of water. Plumbing codes are concerned with health issues not normally overflowing sinks, tubs, or toilets. Never heard of the overflow creating a staph, or any other, infection. Probably someone's hyperbole to convince a customer that his sink did not need an overflow.

If there is no air gap, then the faucet is made, or installed, incorrectly. The "air gap" is figured from the point where the sink would overflow, not to the overflow opening which could, and often is, plugged up and not functioning.

Or a drain with a "pull up" stopper.

It is not a code requirement, and many cultured marble integral sink bowls are also made without overflow openings. It can create a draining problem when there is no overflow, but that is a different subject entirely.

Author: steve (CA)

As HJ stated, there is no UPC requirement for an overflow. I've installed many sinks with overflows and when I stop the drain and fill the sink, the overflow can't handle the faucet flow and the sink would still flood.

Author: zbg465 (TX)

I just had the same problem this weekend and solved it yesterday.
I bought Pfister Faucet with pop up drain which was good for overflow sink. our sink doesn't have overflow. so I bought a flexible Compression connection from Home Depot that covered the holes and also filled the gap between two rubber rings (washers) and sealed it. it works great. It acts as sink neck at the bottom which you need to have around the pop up drain.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Missmegan34 (WA)

Hi zbg465! I was wondering if you could walk me through what you did to fix your drain. I accidentally bought the incorrect faucet for my sink. I bought a Pfister with a pop up drain but my sink is not an overflow sink. I can't exchange the faucet because my husband tossed the box, so was looking for a way to seal the holes in the drain. You said you purchased a flexible compression connection. There any way you can email me a more detailed step by step installation process for covering the holes? Thank you so much in advance! MeganFree@pacificu.edu

Edited 1 times.

Author: TFjr (PA)

Can you provide me with the part # or description of the piece you got from HD?
I'm in the same situation & have a leak issue. I think your solution will work.
Much appreciated

Author: Donnalee (Canada)

Hello,

Does anyone know what the name and number of that part from Home Depot is? I am in this situation with a Pfister overflow drain that doesn't work with my sink that doesn't have an overflow.

Thanks for any help !

Author: raerae (OR)

I too am in this same predicament and would like to figure out a workaround so I can use the drains I purchased. 2 stinks without overflows: one probably came with the place... a 1978 manufactured home, the other kids a glass bowl sink I bought off Craigslist. Drains are from the ReStore and past their time window for returns. Thanks in advance if anyone is able to offer info on what to do.

Author: scrybbler (TX)

Seems like HD isn't carrying non-overflow sink trim any more, which is pretty frustrating.

This would work ok for awhile as long as you get a good seal with the bottom gasket. The problem imho is that the space between your sink tailpiece and the flexible tube would fill with all sorts of gunk, and material will stick eventually and clog up. Not too hard to clean though.

I'm tempted to seal mine with plumber's putty and a final layer of Water Weld. I'm thinking this is a better solution than Zbg's.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.