Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gurgling From Sink When Toilet Flushes
Author: Anonymous User

Hello,

Just recently when I flush the toilet, the bathroom sink drain starts gurgling - quite loudly. Anyone know what this could be? It just recently started happening. Thanks.

Re: Gurgling From Sink When Toilet Flushes
Author: steve (CA)

Ellie, a partially plugged drain pipe could be causing the toilet water to back up. This back up is forcing air in the pipe back and it's exiting through the sink drain. There might also be a venting issue involved.

Re: Gurgling From Sink When Toilet Flushes
Author: pzqk7j (AZ)

City water or septic? In either case there is most likely a partial clog downstream of the toilet and sink.

Re: Gurgling From Sink When Toilet Flush

Thanks Steve. I was afraid the drain may be getting clogged as it had backed up in the basement about 6 months ago or so & I had to have it cabled out. We had real strong winds 60-70 mph a couple days ago also, so bad that the board covering the attic entrance blew off & I was wondering if somehow the vents in the attic could have been damaged. I'll check that also. Thanks again.

city water. Do you think this is something that I will need to call a company out & have them run the cable through the main drain? Or do you think a little draino down the sink could help? I had to have a company come out several months ago & run a cable through due to drain in basement backing up - by the time he got out here though it had gone back down & the drain was dry, & he never really hit any really hard spots & went out 25 feet. But it has been fine since. I wonder if it's something I will have to start having done every 6 months or so. There has been a lot of settling of the ground around my area & the man told me the pipes may be a little off from the settling.

Author: pzqk7j (AZ)

Ellie, based on your earlier comments check out the vent situation first to make sure flying debris did not do something to your vent stack. If that is okay than you will need to call out a plumber to rod the line and do so in such a manner that corrects your immediate problem. Hard to diagnois from a far but settling pipes is in a word baloney. Not that cannot happen, just that to pick that out of the blue as a cause makes me question the quality of the plumber.

Author: jjbex (IL)

No chemicals! You need a good service plumber who can rod drains, as opposed to a roto rooter type. It sounds like a venting issue, or psrtially clogged drain.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.