Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 700,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com (also known as PlumbingForum.com) where plumbing advice, education, information, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors anywhere who all wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been free without popup or other invasive ads and known to be the best online STRICTLY PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to find and/or purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replace Hose Bib with Boiler Drain Valve?
Author: nyrjoe (NY)

My plumber wanted to replace a hose bib on the outside of my home that is leaking with a Boiler Drain Valve. I decided to hold off on doing it to be sure that using a Boiler Drain Valve instead of a Hose Bib was ok? Any reason why this shouldn't be done? They seem identical, have identical sized threads however I'd like to know if this shouldn't be done for any reason? For example would water-flow out of the hose be the same? Do they need to be winterized differently? Anything else that would make this not advisable?

Thanks!

Re: Replace Hose Bib with Boiler Drain Valve?
Author: bsipps (PA)

The only difference is appearance as long as it is secure there is no issue

Author: bernabeu (SC)

A boiler drain is a type of valve that is designed to control the flow of water from a plumbing system. These valves are typically installed at the base of a water heater or boiler and are used to drain the system for maintenance or repair purposes. Boiler drains are usually made of brass or plastic and can be threaded or soldered onto the plumbing system.

Pros and Cons of Boiler Drain
Boiler drains are commonly used in indoor plumbing systems to drain water from water heaters and boilers. Here are the pros and cons of using a boiler drain:

Pros
Easy to install
Provides controlled flow of water
Available in different sizes and shapes
Helps prevent water damage and leaks
Helps prevent water damage and leaks
Can be used for draining and flushing plumbing systems
Cons
Lower flow rate than hose bibb
Limited use for outdoor applications
May not be able to withstand high pressures
Require specialized tools for installation
Not be as durable as other plumbing fixtures

A hose bibb, also known as an outdoor faucet or spigot, is a fixture that is commonly used to provide water to outdoor areas, such as gardens and patios. Hose bibbs are typically made of brass, bronze, or plastic and are installed on the outside of a building. They are designed to be used with garden hoses, sprinklers, and other outdoor watering equipment.

Pros and Cons of Hose Bibb
Hose bibbs are commonly used in outdoor watering systems to provide water to gardens, lawns, and other outdoor areas. Here are the pros and cons of using a hose bibb:

Pros
Provides a high flow rate of water
Easy to use and connect to a garden hose
Easy to use and connect to a garden hose
Available in different sizes and shapes
Can be made of durable materials such as brass and bronze
Suitable for a wide range of outdoor watering applications
Cons
May not be suitable for indoor plumbing systems
Freeze and burst in cold temperatures
Require regular maintenance to prevent leaks
Not be as durable as other plumbing fixtures
More expensive than other plumbing fixtures

NOTE THE ANGLE FOR EASE OF HOSE ATTACHMENT

Author: packy (MA)

I agree with my friend from PA...

Author: Ediz (DC)

Using a boiler drain valve instead of a hose bib is not recommended due to differences in design, flow rate, durability, and weather resistance.

Author: hj (AZ)

Those items have NOTHING to do with using one or the other. In may cases, the internal parts of a company's hose bibb, boiler drain, or sill cock may be intechangeable.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

of course they do

one would want a weather resistant fixture with good flow rate outdoors

albeit either type will 'work'

Author: sum (FL)

If in NY you probably need a frost proof faucet.

As far as selecting the style I usually select based on the way the pipe is set up. If it's coming out of the ground/floor vertically up I use a garden valve, if it's coming out of the wall horizontally and needs a flange to cover the hole I use a Silcock, otherwise I use a hose bibb. Boiler drain if the spout angles 90 degree down and close to the wall can be difficult because it will rub on your hand as you thread on a hose, but there are some boiler drains that angle outward that may work. I prefer the quarter turn handle then the multi-turn valve.

If the faucet will be used to do any high flow applications such as a timer controlled irrigation line or filling a swimming pool, then a full port faucet matching the feeding piping size is recommended.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Slightly off topic but there is not a decent quarter turn lever handle hose bibb available in Canada. Sometimes customers request quarter turn hose bibbs but I end up installing my go to hose bibb, a Canadian made compression valve
[www.dahlvalve.com]

Here is the miseralbe selection at Home Depot Canada
[www.homedepot.ca]

Author: hj (AZ)

The flow rate is almost the same since the majority use the same seat, stem, and washer.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.