Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 700,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com (also known as PlumbingForum.com) where plumbing advice, education, information, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors anywhere who all wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been free without popup or other invasive ads and known to be the best online STRICTLY PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to find and/or purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 The toilet is running in a most peculiar way
Author: bam99 (SC)

Even after I replaced the flapper, my toilet continues to run (until I shut off the supply). But the tank water is not dripping into the bowl. Then why do I hear water running? Is that even possible? What should I try next?

Re: The toilet is running in a most peculiar way
Author: steve (CA)

The flapper only controls the water that is held in the tank and gets drained into the bowl when flushed. The fill valve controls the water that enters the tank and sounds like your problem.

Re: The toilet is running in a most peculiar way
Author: sum (FL)

The tank water can go into the bowl two ways. Through the bottom flapper when you flush (or if the flapper does not close completely due to deformation and age or the chain got stuck being too long), or it spills into the overflow tube when the tank water level rises too high.

If as you said the tank is not dripping into the bowl through the flapper or the overflow tube, and you hear continuous water running then your tank water will rise higher and higher until it flows into the overflow tube or spill over the tank top onto the floor.

If water is indeed flowing into the tank from the overflow tube then it is either the overflow tube is set too low and needs to be adjusted higher, or the full valve needs to be adjusted so that it stops filling before the water level reaches the top of the overflow tube, or the fill valve has gone bad and leaking spraying and not stopping.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.