Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Log In
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How Does this Tool Work?
Author: george 7941 (Canada)


Riobel faucets use the typical dome shaped cap which screws over the cartridge retaining nut. Does this tool have a grippy surface on the inside so that when it is turned, it will turn the dome nut along with it?

Post Reply

 Re: How Does this Tool Work?
Author: hj (AZ)

It should have ridges to engage the ones on the cap, hOWEVER, I have NEVER had one work on a cap that I could not have easily removed by hand or with a gentle tug with Channellock pliers.

Post Reply

 Re: How Does this Tool Work?
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

"It should have ridges to engage the ones on the cap"

Don't know if you really meant that since there are no ridges on the cap, unless you are referring to microscopic irregularities on the chrome finish.

I have had occasions where grabbing the conical part with the pliers held horizontally does not loosen the cap, even after applying duct tape to the cap. But the cap turns if the pliers are held vertically with the jaws facing down and grabbing (a small part) of the top/inside edge of the cap and twisting the pliers.

Edited 1 times.

Post Reply

 Re: How Does this Tool Work?
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

I have had best results with dome nuts using pliers as shown above. That is not really a dome nut but was the closest I have on hand to a real one.

Post Reply

 Re: How Does this Tool Work?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

it is a 'friction' tool

a little plaster of paris sprinkled on the 'bearing surface' will make it grip like a vise

sorta like a Parmelly Wrench for chrome pipe


"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Post Reply

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.