Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Walk in shower 1.5" drain problem
Author: Stas123 (IL)

Hi I'm in a major jamb! We demoed a bathroom in a multi family unit(with a permit)

The existing 43"x32" shower opening has a 1.5" drain burried under concrete.  The building will not allow my plumber to jack hammer the concrete to see if it's possible to increase pipe to 2". The plumbing inspector will not pass me unless I increase the drain to 2"

If I ditch the walk in shower plan, I cannot find a tub at 40-44".  I can't increase the shower opening to fit a larger tub with the toilet on the one side with a 30" space.

This is turning into a nightmare. Anyone have any ideas? I'll buy you a beer in a shot!

Re: Walk in shower 1.5" drain problem
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you will need an attorney (to deal with the HOA or condo association)

good luck

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

if you are only installing one shower head with a handheld spray hose the 1 1/2 should be fine.

if you are installing multiple body sprays, shower heads etc then the inspector is right.

1 1/2 drains are allowed by special permission when a hardship is presented.
but not if you are turning the shower space into a "car wash"..

Author: Tom130 (IL)

You could camera it to see if or where 2" is available. A 2" trap has been code in Illinois for at least 35 years but Packy's right, the same valve and shower head in a tub with a 1.5" trap would be fine. I'd be talking very nice to the inspector, maybe he'll see your side.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

?? is the 1-1/2" drain shown on the plans/sketch submitted with the permit application which was subsequently APPROVED ??

If so you 'should' be good to go.

Talk nice with the inspector.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.