Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Chronic sewer line clogging
Author: Hrent (FL)

I have a slab on grade home that we built in 1988, we remolded the master bathroom about 7 years ago and ever since have had problems with the sewer line from that bathroom clogging up, it’s the longest run and has a slight low point belly according to several plumbers who have videoed it, they say the flow is slow. The most recent plumber recommended a pressure assist toilet- the thought process being that when we built the house the toilet was probably a 3 gallon flush and now we have a 1.28

Re: Chronic sewer line clogging
Author: bernabeu (SC)

or,

you can fix the pipe so that it works properly

ie: proper pitch ALL THE WAY

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

in this situation, i believe the plumbers.

Author: Hrent (FL)

Unfortunately the pipe is cast in the concrete slab, very long run all the way through the master bedroom

Author: bernabeu (SC)

{tough love deleted}

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

Get a gravity fed toilet with a 3" flapper style flush valve and modify the internals of the tank to use more water.

Pressure assisted can not be modified, are noisy, and are about on their 5th recall. IMO they are a pain.

I have done this on many jobs with 99 % success. The one failure was 100' of 45+ year old 4" cast iron line in a office/public use (no control over what is flushed) building with many low spots. Re-lined sewer line and no problems since.

I used to use the Toto Drake but they changed it to a canister style flush valve. I now use a ProFlo model. I can get about 2.50 gallons per flush. Makes a lot of difference in line carry.

This is a inexpensive try compared to replacing/re-lining existing sewer line. Which you may have to do.

Good luck.

Author: packy (MA)

i like that advice

Author: Don411 (IN)

I have a similar situation in our 1/2 bath on the lower level. The house was built in 1980, and the waste line runs a decent distance under the concrete before it connects to the main waste line. The toilet is designed to close the flapper after about half of the tank empties, so you conserve water on every flush. If you are flushing #1 it works fine. With #2, there is not enough water to carry the waste to the main. The "fix" is to hold the flush handle down until the tank empties when flushing #2. The extra water is just what is needed to float the solids through the line. So we didn't have to modify the toilet itself, only how we used the toilet. A new toilet is on the list for a planned remodel.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.