Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 clarification for bernabeu IPS thread tightening
Author: packy (MA)

bern, while a agree there should be some guidance regarding threaded male-female tightening , i feel there are too many variables.
to me the biggest variable is country of origin. (nuff said on that)

next i think the use or non-use of teflon tape greatly affects the number of turns.

one more factor is orientation of the fitting. i have had to take joints apart when the fitting faced the wrong way and was impossible to make any tighter. so, take it apart, clean it up and put more or less wraps of teflon tape.

so, i'm not trying to give you a hard time. tightening lug nuts on the car tires to a certain torque setting is far different from from tightening a chrome stop under a toilet or adapters ontop of a water heater.

BTW, i see where massachusetts has legalized pro-press for 1 1/4 black pipe for oil tank fill and vent. i might as well take my 24 inch aluminum pipe wrenches and use them for yard decorations.

Re: clarification for bernabeu IPS thread tightening
Author: bernabeu (SC)

..... was impossible to make any tighter. .....

Then it was ALREADY way way too tight.

I tighten to either 7 turns OR 6 turns + whatever I need to align fitting direction.

If the resulting joint feels too loose then I know the threads are NFG and then depending on what is being conveyed by the piping take appropriate action.

If flammable gas or liquid the threads need to be redone and or the fitting replaced.

If water or air and the joint is 'accessible' then more TPFE or different 'dope'.

HOWEVER

Only 'sliiggght' cheats are permitted and only if the joint is accessable.

PIPING ACTUALLY IS A SKILLED TRADE

SHHEEEEEEZ

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

"PIPING ACTUALLY IS A SKILLED TRADE"

not anymore..

the advent of pro-press and mega-press have changed our trade.

just wait until some pressed piping has to be changed. if the fittings are all close together then sawzall out the whole job and redo it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

disappointed , but true

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: davidimcintosh (Canada)

Funny, I just joined, and it doesn't take long to spot the people who know their sh*t.
You may be disheartened by newer technologies that try to make things @#$%&-proof, but an @#$%& can still fluff things up. So do keep passing on insights, for those who care to know.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.