Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot water problem
Author: Sir Person (CA)

Hello! I have been having a hot water issue in my apartment, I will try to be thorough.

TLDR:
Water takes a long time to heat up.
Cools down quickly when not in use.
Is wildly inconsistent.
I need to have other faucets running in order to get hot water from some faucets (some faucets wont get hot water on their own.)

Background: I rent at an apartment. The water heater went out mid December. Management replaced water heater, but I noticed there was still an issue getting hot water after heater was replaced. I found out I am the farthest unit away from the hot water heater. And hot water can be wildly inconsistent. I think that the main issue is a lack of insulation for pipes and the distance the pipes are from the water heater.

Currently the main problem: If I run just the bathroom sink tap I cannot get hot water at all. Run time and temp most days.
60-70's F 5 min.
Low 90's F 10 min.
High 90's F 15-20 minutes.
Low 100's 30 minutes.
About 105 after 40 minutes where the water temp wont increase anymore despite however long I run the tap for. I've gone as long as 1 hour 40 minutes and it stays at 105.

If I run tests in my kitchen sink I can get 116 F or so after half hour to 40 minutes. But it is very inconsistent.

If I run my bathtub faucet I can get up to 120 (legal hot water in my state) after a long run time, maybe like 10-20 minutes or so, have not done a detailed timing with it. When I get hot water from my bathtub faucet it makes it so hot water can come out more quickly from my bathroom sink and from my kitchen sink. When I stop the flow of hot water, the water quickly cools down if I turn the faucet back on and takes time to heat up again.

When I send the water from the bathtub faucet up to the showerhead, it normally gets much cooler very quickly. Sometimes it only hovers around 100 degrees from the showerhead, even if I got it to 110 from the bathtub faucet.

The temperatures are strongly affected by neighboring units (I think). When they use hot water (I think heating up the pipes) I will get hot water much sooner in my unit. And, on a whole, the temps are wildly inconsistent.

What could be causing issues like the ones stated above?

Are long runtimes considered OK to access hot water? Even if I am wasting tons of water when I want and need to access hot water?

Sorry for a long post with a lot to it. Thank you so much anyone who reads my post and answers my questions or explains any possible reasons for why this is going on.

Thank you!

Edited 2 times.

Re: Hot water problem
Author: packy (MA)

i can think of half a dozen possible problems.
have you talked to other tenants?
have you talked management?

Re: Hot water problem
Author: Curly (CA)

To add to Packy's question...How many apartment units served by water heater ?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.