Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water line in crawl space
Author: pops236 (MS)

My house is built on a conventional foundation and I went underneath and saw that the waterlines are laying on the ground. this is an older home and the water supply lines are PVC. I thought it was correct to have them on or through the joist or strapped and hanging from the joist but as I said they lay on the ground until they get underneath each connection and then with an elbow go upward to the sink or washing , etc. This seems like it should not be that way? they are so old I would really like to replace them with new PVC or pex.

Re: water line in crawl space
Author: DaveMill (CA)

You are correct. It sounds like someone repiped the home without knowing the universal requirement to secure the pipes.

What is your reason for wanting to replace that PVC? Aside from the job having been done wrong. In my own case, I did rip out some highly suspect plumbing because I did not trust the previous homeowner. But I also left the majority of his work that had no problems, and also passed a pressure test and visual inspection.

there were water leaks and an update to my earlier post I discovered them because it seemed that the floor was a bit spongy so I removed the subfloor down to the joist for a better look and sure enough there was a lot of rotten subfloor wood but back to the PVC I suspect that somewhere in those lines either at the sink connection or the washing machine connections there is a leak. Now that I have a 100% view of the lines I'm going to turn the water back on and see if I can determine where the leak is and I suspect that there might be a very small crack that has been been spraying a mist of water upward four years upon years. This is basically a hot and cold waterlines. Straight run on each approximately 10 feet so I thought I might as well just replace it before I put the new floor back down which gets me to my other question PVC or pex?

Author: steve (CA)

"PVC" is more than likely not code legal. "CPVC" is probably legal , but most would probably agree it's at the bottom of the list of favorable material to use. Between PEX and CPVC, I would use PEX.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Curly (CA)

dito.

And I would add stub out into rooms with copper for stops to be attached to.

yes for sure CPVC. I've just come to refer to it as PVC but you are correct actual PVC probably would not be suitable or code correct.

Hey Curly...ditto

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.