Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tying into ejector vent or AAV usage in NYS
Author: Sli4 (NY)

I'm adding a bathroom into my basement with all the fixtures running through a sewage ejector pump. It will unfortunately be on the opposite side of the house from the main vent stack and the sewage line. Due to windows and limited access, the only reasonable way to get a new vent pipe outside is to run it about 30ish feet through a crawl space, cutting through almost all of the joists along the way and then outside and up above the 1 story roof line.

Fixtures include: a sink, utility sink and washing machine in addition to the normal sink, toilet and shower in the bathroom.

The fixtures will all run down the line via gravity in order: Kitchen sink>bathroom sink>toilet>shower>utility sink>pump>up to the main line feeding our septic tank.

The plumber we hired says only the sewage ejector will be vented outside. He wants to put in 3 studor valves - 1 for the kitchenette, 1 connecting the bathroom sink and toilet and 1 for the shower. He said he's going to put the kitchenette’s in the sink cabinet but the ones in the bathroom would be buried into the walls. There's also an exhaust fan going in that he said for ease he'd just run straight out the front wall which may end up either under a deck or near a window.

The toilet would be about 65 inches away from the vent pipe coming out of the ejector pump (the vent pipe running across the entire crawlspace).
I have seen sump vents (which I assume encompasses sewage pump vents) need to exit above the roof “separately”, but have also seen a lot of posts here mentioning it’s fine to tie into as long as it’s over 6” from the flood line?

So my question is - does any of this sound completely wrong or definitely a code violation specifically in New York State? The main concerns that pop out to me are:

1) studor valve on the toilet

2) valves hidden in the wall

3) vent pipe running horizontally for a long run and at least 3 bends before going up over the roof line

4) tying the toilet or other fixtures vent(s) to the sewage pump’s vent pipe

5) exhaust fan exiting near a window/deck

thanks

Re: Tying into ejector vent or AAV usage in NYS
Author: bernabeu (SC)

It is ALL, repeat ALL, wrong.

You want something.

Something EXPENSIVE.

You will need to spend NOW or even more later if you 'cheap out'.

You 'should' simply construct a 'pipe chase' in a suitable corner for any piping going through the roof if the walls are inaccessible for the required vents.

AAVs are only acceptable if one can not atmospheric vent.

PERMIT(S)

LICENSED BONDED INSURED PLUMBER

$$$$$

remember: code is the absolute MINIMUM, often NOT meeting the standard of 'good or best practice'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

while none of us are HUGE fans of studor vents, they do pass code in alot of areas.
they can be inside a wall but there must be an access panel.

right now, if the plumber meets with the plumbing inspector and gets approval, then your only concern is replacing a studor vent if and when it fails. they simply unscrew.

do get a top line ejector. i've had good luck with liberty.

In that case what would qualify as not capable of atmospheric venting?

Right, I hate the idea of it - but if it’s fine by code I may have to deal with it. I’ll also look into the pipe chase.
But that’s why I’m hoping to find someone in NYS that has an answer about it being code. I’m not seeing anything that specifically says no except for “pumps and tanks” and chemical usage unless rated for it.

i stand corrected

Edited 1 times.

bern, he already said the ejector is being vented to the outside.

however, to repeat myself:

You 'should' simply construct a 'pipe chase' in a suitable corner for any piping going through the roof if the walls are inaccessible for the required vents.

Having the ejector vented outside can I tie the toilet and sink’s vent into that and use it as the stack for this bathroom? I keep seeing “no” but can’t find code saying otherwise. In the glossary I do see “sump vent” saying “a vent from an ejector that terminates separately to open air”
The word “separately” is confusing there as that could mean it can’t be split into two separate open air pipe openings OR it could mean it must be separate from other fixture’s vents from start at the ejector to open air finish.

the short answer is yes..

a dry vent is a dry vent.

sized correctly, they can all tie together.

Well that would be great news. But what does it mean by “separate” in this line of the first picture? The second picture states it should be treated as a normal gravity vent which would then be okay…? Seems contradictory but is from the same code book.

Author: bsipps (PA)

You can’t serve any fixtures on a sump vent it is to go from the sump directly through the roof

period

end of case

separately = independently

? ever see the water in a toilet rock when it is windy outside ?

when the sump/ejector pump runs air is REALLY pulled in through the vent which 'could' siphon/rock any other traps served

Author: Don411 (IN)

Sli4
...that’s why I’m hoping to find someone in NYS that has an answer about it being code.

The only way to guarantee that the work is to code is to pull a permit and have the work inspected. As a former NYer, I get why that's not a desirable option especially on a basement remodel, but in that case you need to invest in a GOOD plumber that has a reputation for doing quality work, and not go with the lowest bidder. People assume that you get 3 quotes on a job and the work will all be the same, go with the cheapest guy. Let me tell you, the cheapest guys will cut corners and leave you with a mess especially if it's not being inspected.

As far as AAVs go, you can put them in the wall and add an access panel. This is an Oatey panel and is available at most supply houses including the sponsor here

I hung a mirror over it, so it's still accessible

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.