Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sealing Drop-in tub to Quartz deck
Author: ajolder1 (MA)

We have hired a general contractor to remodel our master bathroom, amongst other rooms. We will be adding a Sitka Drop-In Acrylic soaking tub and intend to put a quartz deck “over” the top of the Sitka acrylic deck lip. Sitka acknowledges the tub may be installed as drop-in or undermount (it is the same tub). Thus, the gc will build a traditional frame and drop the tub in to be mounted as a classic drop-in design. Furthermore, this frame will include a raised portion around the entire outside which will support the quartz deck. This quartz deck will extend from the upper inside of the tub to the walls. Gc intends to design support so the portion of quartz over the Sitka deck lip is overhung, say 1/8” above, to eliminate direct pressure of the quartz on the acrylic tub deck lip. Btw, the acrylic deck lip is flat.

My question is what type of adhesive, caulk, silicon etc. should be used between the Sitka deck lip and the quartz upper deck? The tub when full, to its 75 gal of water capacity and a human may weigh over 750 pounds. I am concerned about any movement that might occur (the tub settling) when the tub is full, and will that sever the seal of the adhesive/caulk/silicon between the two surfaces? I’d appreciate guidance from those familiar with this process.

Secondarily, any other design/installation tips related to installing a quartz surface over acrylic drop-in surface would be appreciated.

Re: Sealing Drop-in tub to Quartz deck
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Only advice I can offer is that silicone caulking will not work, silicone just does not bond well to acrylic. Yoou need a siliconized acrylic latex caulk.
DAP Ultra kitchen and Bath will work [www.dap.com]

I had a post re acrylic tub caulk [www.plbg.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

mortar bed under the tub !!!!!!

Author: ajolder1 (MA)

Thanks for feedback - I'll look into the product you recommended. Any comments regarding my concern about "sagging" of the tub when full thereby separating whatever adhesive/caulk is used?

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Hence Packy's recommendation for mortar under the tub, it will minimize movement.

Author: packy (MA)

also pack in as much good dense fiberglass insulation as you can around the tub.
it will keep the water hotter for a longer time

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Any comments regarding my concern about "sagging" of the tub when full thereby separating whatever adhesive/caulk is used?

The tub must be properly installed on a SOLID base in such a manner that it does not, repeat NOT, sag AT ALL.

The subfloor must be rated for the maximum load AND the tub needs setting upon a mortar base.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.