Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Black Deposits in Toilet Tank
Author: wa4ywm (PA)

I have 3 toilets in the house all of which have a black deposit in the tank. The material accumulates on the right bottom of all the toilets for whatever reason.
It's consistency is similar to graphite lubricant. It causes black streaks in the bowl which are difficult to clean out.

I have a water softener. I do not have a water filter of any type.

A few posts I have found say this might be due to a breakdown of the rubber in the tank. I have lived in the house for 34 years and this is a recent issue - in the last 2-3 years.

Any ideas?

Re: Black Deposits in Toilet Tank
Author: DaveMill (CA)

As your research indicated, the most common cause of your symptoms is breakdown of the black rubber hose inside the stainless steel supply line. You could turn off the supply valve, remove one line to inspect it, then replace them all with matching hoses. If you are not comfortable with this task, call a plumber!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

There is NO, repeat NO, stainless steel supply line.

There IS a 'braided' stainless steel mesh OVER the crap supply tube (purportedly to prevent a 'blow-out').

Said blow-out protection would not be necessary if a solid connection were used.

or, if you MUST use plastic: [www.brasscraft.com]

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: wa4ywm (PA)

Why is this not a general problem? Others I have talked to don't have this issue. What causes the breakdown?

Also, note that one of these hoses is just a few months old. Does this tell you anything?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

different hoses have different compositions

'some' municipalities use chloramine some do not

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: DaveMill (CA)

>Why is this not a general problem? Others I have talked to don't have this issue. What causes the breakdown?

It is indeed a "general" problem. 100% of hoses fail in time. Did you ask the others the exact age and composition of their braided lines, along with their water composition as mentioned by Bern?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.