Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 floor drain for closet converted to laundry room?
Author: Nurit (MA)

I had my master bedroom closet converted to a laundry room last year, but I didn't have a floor drain installed, and a big box store installed my new washer incorrectly, causing the drain hose to pop out of the drain, flooding the laundry room. The room below the laundry room is my garage, and a lot of the drywall in my garage had to be removed. A plumber came by and noticed that an extra vent labeled E.V. was now exposed and that would allow him to install a floor drain connected to my main stack pipe. Before that, a different plumber came by and didn't say anything about the EV but rather suggested drilling a drain in the floor of my laundry room directly into my garage since the floor of my garage is concrete. He also said that floor drains aren't connected to stack pipes anymore. (I used to live in a townhouse built in 2003 in IL, where the laundry room floor drain was definitely connected to the stack pipe, since when the trap dried up...)

Which approach do you recommend? I have attached 2 pictures of my garage. The floor drain would need to be on the right in the back, while the E.V. is on the left.

thanks for any advice you may have!

it looks like the photo embeds did not work, so here are the direct links:
[photos.google.com]
[imgur.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: floor drain for closet converted to laundry room?
Author: bsipps (PA)

It’s an emergency drain, pipe it outside or let it drop on the floor
It is not worth the hassle of installing a trap primer required by code and said failure of a trap primer can cause devastating damage

Since the washer is not on the bottom floor by code you must have a pan and emergency drain installed under the washer or automatic shut off valves with sensor on the washer supply valves

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto, pipe it WITH A TRAP, said trap filled with Glycerin

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah.. as advised....
get a washing machine drain pan.
pipe it to the outside with a plain old 1 1/2 inch sump pump discharge hose.
they are those black flexible hoses that you can wind around and pop it outside where it won't be seen.
by the way the fitting is marked FV. future vent.
BTW, you don't need an expensive plumber to do this work. any competent handyman can set the pan under the qasher, drill a couple of holes and hose clamp the black hose in place.
[www.google.com]

I have a drain pan. Because the drain hose popped out of the drain pipe, a lot of the water was outside the drain pan, so that's why I was thinking about a floor drain. I have HardieBoard siding and live in an HOA, so it's not that easy to put a hole in the side of my place. If the drain leads directly to my garage, is there a flap that can be installed on the garage side that opens only if water is coming down? I don't want car exhaust and bugs entering my laundry room if there is a permanent "hole" between my garage and laundry room.

thanks for your advice! smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

You can get a waterless trap seal that will fit directly in to the floor drain

..... I don't want car exhaust and bugs entering my laundry room if there is a permanent "hole" between my garage and laundry room. .....

There may not, repeat NOT, be such an opening between the garage and the living space AS PER CODE and NFPA regulation(s).

Think carbon monoxide.
Think gasoline fumes / odors.
Think fire, flames, and smoke.

I would strongly recommend a building permit for all work done in MA as is presently REQUIRED by MA law.

else

Your insurance coverage may be (probably is already) in grave jeopardy.

Author: Curly (CA)

Cable tie the drain hose into the drain and it won't pop out.

As the other guys have said put washing machine in a drain pan (which you did - good job) and install a water sensing shut off device connected to the hot and cold water supply with a sensor inside the pan and outside the pan.

I have a customer with this set up and machine over filled and sensor shut off and all water was contained in the pan. Worked like a charm.

Our sponsor sells water shut off devices.....

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

ditto

Yes Bern is correct
The exposed pvc piping would have to be encased in a drywall soffit/chase

Hi Bernabeu, am I understanding you correctly that you recommend installing a floor drain with a trap but filled with glycerin as opposed to using a trap primer?

thanks for your help!

yes, a 'deep seal' METAL drain and trap filled with glycerin, metal piping 'dumping' onto garage floor, penetration WELL SEALED

AND A BUILDING PERMIT (you ARE in fact penetrating a FIREWALL)

else: voided insurance policy (don't believe me? read the actual policy, not merely the 'declarations' cover page)

all he needs is the proper firestop collar at the penetration.
no need for expensive metal DWV.

[www.buyinsulationproductstore.com]

a tie wrap will keep the drain hose from popping out of the trap riser.
a piece of metal screening on the end will keep critters from coming back.

no plumbing permit needed if you don't tie into an existing drain line.

do talk to your homeowners insurance agent about the penetration and the protection you've provided.

i've used similar products several times and all have been approved by inspectors.

One should NOT have EXPOSED plastic piping penetrating 'fire walls'.

SHEEEEZZZZZZZZZ ................................

Can PVC penetrate a fire rated wall?
Firestop Collars are used as fire protection for PVC and other plastic combustible pipes that penetrate through a fire rated wall. A Fire Collar for PVC pipes will provide the proper fire protection for a penetrating pipe while maintaining the wall/ceiling/floor's 1 or 2 hour Fire Rating.

NOT EXPOSED PVC

PVC inside a wall or inside a soffit or inside an 'interstitial space' may penetrate providing, as you state, the penetration is properly sealed.

Exposed PVC may NOT, repeat NOT, do so ..... as per the NFPA.

You 2 are great

commercial versus consumer versus good/best practice versus code MINIMUM versus industry standards versus INSURANCE recommendations versus maximum profit versus best design

grinning smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.