Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 what type of gate valve
Author: Ron_MN (MN)

This is a gate valve for my water main connected to 3/4" copper pipe. I would like to replace it with a lever valve but I don't know what threads these are. [i.postimg.cc]

Re: what type of gate valve
Author: bernabeu (SC)

one side is standard female NPT (formerly called IPS) standard pipe thread

the OTHER side is integral (and proprietary) union (possible adaptor for copper soldered tube, but need better more 'complete' pic)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Ron_MN (MN)

Where does one find an adapter for a lever valve with 2 female 3/4" NPT?

You will need to REMOVE the 'half union' from the copper side.

You will need to solder a Cu X (m)NPT adapter onto the copper.

You will need new union.

There are MANY ways to replace what you now have.

You most likely will also need a plumber on-site. (based upon your question(s))

as an example of what a PRO would use: [www.mcmaster.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Is that the street side or house side of the meter? If street side, any chance the water company is responsible for it?

Author: packy (MA)

in my humble opinion...
you are looking at a valve that is flared end on the bottom and threaded on the top.
you'll have to get the water department to shut the water outside and if i'm correct the job is pretty simple for an experienced plumber.
the valve you want has this configuration. i don't know if a plumbing supply house has one or if you have to go to a waterworks type store.

Author: steve (CA)

No need to be humble. You appear to be spot on. That does look like a flare nut.

steve.. i'll answer your question

the drain button on that valve is on the top so the pressure must be coming from the bottom.
you can see the meter to the left and the bottom of the meter has a cast iron black cover held in place by hex bolts. the black cover is a meter freeze plate designed to break if the meter freezes thus saving the meter from damage.
they probably don't use these in CA.
[www.google.com]

packy,

spot on

one day you'll make me a plumber

(however, is not a flare a type of union? tongue sticking out smiley)

the concept is the same.
as is a kitchen tailpiece held to a strainer.

Author: Curly (CA)

Packy,

I have seen that plate on the bottom of water meters that are on DCDA backflow devices for fire protection. Not knowing what climate the device will be installed in they must include it on all of them.

Often wondered why it was not made of brass etc. Now I know.

Thanks. thumbs

it is made of cast iron but the w3ater never touches it. there is a plastic gasket that is the same size and shape as the plate. it isolates any water from coming in contact with the plate.

Author: Curly (CA)

thumbs up

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.