Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water heater
Author: adriagg (TX)

Why would cold water be coming out from my hot water inlet pipe?

I am currently in PR tending to my elderly parents and their Marey Power Pak 220 water heater just quit working. The new water heater was installed in Sept 2023 and has been working fine, then all of a sudden it stopped. I took it to the manufacturer and they said it could be a water pressure issue so they changed a spring so that the water heater works with less water pressure. That did not fix the issue.

The water heater is working fine. I believe the issue is in the fact that cold water is coming out of the hot water inlet pipe. That pipe should not be shooting water, correct? I've disconnected the hot water heater hose from the pipe and turned the cold water line in on. The water heater does it's job, but once I attach the hot water hose to the pipe line that is supposed to feed the water to the house, it doesn't work. And it shouldn't, since there is water coming out causing it to cancel out or just shut down. What can be causing water to come out of that inlet pipe?

I've already gone one sink at a time and shut off main line to each faucet, still nothing.

Thanks in advance for your guidance

Re: water heater
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you have a 'crossover' somewhere - my guess would be a faulty shower valve

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: water heater
Author: adriagg (TX)

Thank you for your response.

We did just install a shower hose extension in their master shower since we have to shower my dad now.

It's the kind that you attach to the shower head between the pipe and the shower head, it has a valve to choose where you want the water to come out through, either the handle or the shower head itself.

Should I uninstall it? It's been working for about a week since the installation.

Also, do I need to run the hot water line to drain the water? I've shut off the valve to the hot water inlet and water is still coming out of the hot water side in the sink.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.