Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to connect sink sprayer to supply hose
Author: Allynn (CT)

I've just completed my first kitchen sink faucet install (yay me!). Now I need some help. The faucet has a separate hose for the hot and cold water (both 1/2" on each end) and I want to hook the side sprayer up to the cold water source only. I have used a 3-way T-connector to split the source. But I can't seem to get the right connector for the sprayer. My friends at "Home Despot" sold me 1/2" FIP to 1/4" FIP and a 1/4" hex nipple. This leaks at the nipple no matter how much teflon tape I put on it. Reading posts here (lots, and lots of posts!) I think the sprayer needs a different connector. The default connector on the sprayer is: "One of the connector size of hose fitting is 1/4'' female thread (1/4-18NPSM)"

This is a link to the sprayer at Amazon: [www.amazon.com]

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: How to connect sink sprayer to supply hose
Author: bernabeu (SC)

1/4" NPSM = 1/4" national pipe straight/standard mechanical, IOW 1/4" compression

all you need is a compression adapter tee on the cold water stop designed for an ice maker connection

your sprayer will hook up instead of the feed to the ice maker

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

My advice would be "DON'T DO IT". THat hose is not rated for "line pressure" 24/7/365 and may cause a flood at at the worst time.

CORRECT

I answered a direct question with the 'how' but neglected the (unasked) 'should?'.

Author: Allynn (CT)

Thank you both for your replies. But now I have a couple of more questions if that's okay. Is it right to say that the reason it's okay to hook up an ice maker this way is because the water pressure has been reduced? Is there a way I could do that for the sprayer? Maybe take the 1/2" down to 3/8" and/or use an adjustable valve? If not, then how is a sprayer supposed to be hooked up to a sink that has separate hot and cold taps? I know some newer sprayers just come out of the faucet but I've never liked that look for a lot of reasons. If this can't be done that's okay too. The old sprayer hadn't worked for 20 years so it's not like I'm going to miss having one!

The tubing to an ice maker is designed for constant pressure.

The sprayer hose for a faucet is normally operated by a divertor built into the faucet itself. The sprayer hose is normally connected to the faucet body, not a supply TO the faucet. Said built in divertor keeps the hose unpressurized unless the hose is activated by its lever. How this works is a true mechanical marvel. Simple mechanism, but a true genius concept WHICH IS BUILT INTO THE FAUCET BODY ITSELF.

There are separate spraying devices but they are commercial in nature and $$$$$.

[www.bing.com]

Your existing faucet probably is easy to fix.

Author: steve (CA)

The pressurized water stops at the solenoid(s), which are usually at the rear bottom of the refrigerator.The water piping inside the refrigerator, to the door and to the ice maker are not pressurized. Once water is called for by either the door water outlet or by the ice maker, a solenoid valve will open and allow the water to then flow through the refrigerator to those devices.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.