Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PVC primer/cement
Author: sum (FL)

When you solvent weld a PVC ball valve or a union, will the primer or cement damage the plastic ball inside the ball valve or the o-ring in a union if you accidentally applied too much, or the applicator touched the ball as you coat the inside of the ball valve socket?

This happened to a union. Is the o-ring still good?

Re: PVC primer/cement
Author: bsipps (PA)

I’d be more worried about the pvc below the o ring being damaged more than the o ring itself, I would imagine they are both fine
As for a ball valve it’s best practice to glue it in the open position then exercise a couple times… I’ve never had an issue

Author: packy (MA)

i always apply primer and cement heavily to the pipe and just a light swipe inside the fitting. just enough in the fitting to get the chemical reaction started. any extra will push off the pipe and remain on the outside.

i makes me angry to watch videos on the internet of installers load the dauber and apply to the fitting first and then to the pipe.

any extra in the fitting has no where to go except to form a blob causing trouble in the future.

Author: Don411 (IN)

Exactly Packy, and which is why you are supposed to use a twisting motion when assembling, to distribute the cement around the joint. The situation in the photo is not ideal, but if it's for the outdoor pond, I would put it together and send it. If it leaks, address it then.

Author: sum (FL)

Packy, I try to do the same. In this case though, it is not that easy because some of the piping are under water, and I drained 50% of the pond water for it to be exposed above water for me to make the changes.

The line is 3/4", the fitting socket depth is 3/4", the dauber is 1" long, if I insert 3/4" (full depth), only some of the primer and cement will coat the deeper part of the inside.

Same thing with a ball valve, normally I open the valve so the primer and cement will not get on the side of the ball, but due to some water dripping slowly, I had to shut the valve off, do the connection, then wait a few seconds to exercise the valve because mostly likely, the excess cement get pushed to the ball anyways.

Author: packy (MA)

put rubber gloves on and use your little finger as a dauber.

Author: mud369 (PA)

Have the same problem on cpvc, especially on valves not horizontal, you can easily glue the valve shut, so now I use threaded brass valves and cpvc to pipe thread adapters, costs a little more but the valves are much higher quality.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.