Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 700,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com (also known as PlumbingForum.com) where plumbing advice, education, information, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors anywhere who all wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been free without popup or other invasive ads and known to be the best online STRICTLY PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to find and/or purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What supply line to use for new dual-fuel range
Author: Murph (SC)

Hi and thanks in advance for any insights.

We recently purchased a Thermador range (Electric oven and 4 burner gas cooktop).
The max BTU's from the 4 burners on the new cooktop is 66,000
Our gas supply comes from an LP tank buried outside the home.
We run run heat, hot water and our cooktop with the LP.
The new appliance is intended to replace an existing 4 burner cooktop (and some old cabinets from below it).

The old cooktop had already been converted to LP when we bought the home.
The supply for the gas comes in through the cabinet to the right of where the new appliance will be installed.
That supply line has a shutoff valve in the cabinet.
The old cooktop was connected to the gas supply line with a 1/2 inch, 5ft long yellow flex line.

The new appliance has the gas hookup on the left side. It has a 3/4 in threaded male input and I have attached a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer on that to accept the 1/2 gas line.

Here is the problem.

The existing 5 ft yellow flex line is not long enough to from from the shutoff in the cabinet, down through the floor, across and up to where the new appliance gas line needs to be connected.

Based on my measure I need 8 ft from the shut off valve to the back of the appliance.

I have searched for longer flex lines but cannot find anything over 6 ft. Plus, I see recommendations that these be kept to a max of 1.5 meters.

The question I need answering is how do I make this connection? What material do I need to use and what special concerns do you all have based on what I have described?

I will have the gas supplier do a leak test when done.

Thanks

Re: What supply line to use for new dual-fuel range
Author: steve (CA)

Have also read that those flexible gas supply connectors are not to run through floors or walls?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct

one may NOT, repeat NOT, run a flex appliance gas connector through a wall

it must be LOCAL and ACCESSIBLE

OP,

you either need a new range with the connection on the proper side for your application

OR

you need to relocate the main gas line and local valve (which must ALSO be accessible LOCALLY)

Author: packy (MA)

if i understand this correctly, you can go back to the shut off, unscrew the flex connector and use a piece of 1/2 inch OD copper flared on both ends from the shut off to the stove.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.