Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Two ball valves in series
Author: sum (FL)

Can you think of a valid reason to have two ball valves in series on the 3/4" CPVC cold feed to a water heater?

One of them has to be stuck/seized/broken right?

Re: Two ball valves in series
Author: steve (CA)

That would be my assumption.

Is there a non invasive, non destructive way to determine, if one of the ball valves may be stuck in a partially open position and inhibiting flow?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

My best guess would be that the 'first' valve failed to fully shut off at some point so that an additional valve was added.

Turn the 'first' one off and see if the flow stops. If not it is defective.

(since they are NOT full port valves THAT may be the obstruction to full volume flow)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

after thinking it over a bit more, here is what I concluded, see if that makes sense.

If the ball valve is broken, stuck opened, stuck closed or stuck half open, and they cement in an additional valve, then the new valve must be the valve to the right (closer to the WH) correct? That is the only scenerio that seems to make sense, that valve won't shut off completely, so they tried to shut off the main valve (wherever that is I will find out soon) and that valve is either not accessible or won't shut off either, but may be it will shut off 90% to a slow drip, and they decided to cut the pipe after the valve to put in a new one. May be they used bread, may be they just crossed their fingers to cement in a new valve while still dripping.

If the right valve is the broken one, and they make the cut to the left of it, then they must shut the main off, in that case, there is no reason at all not to remove the redundant broken valve correct?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct - you 'got it'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: Two ball valves in series love

OK mystery solved, did the inspection today.

Turns out the middle fitting between the two ball valves, which I thought was a coupling, is not, is a tee.

That tee has the "bull" facing towards the back wall and then turn left back into the left side wall.

One pipe was completely behind the other and I didn't see it.

So the left ball valve is actually the main shutoff for the apartment, it came in to feed the WH and the right ball valve is the isolation for the cold feed for the WH, the middle tee turns back into the wall to feed the cold water for the rest of the apartment.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.