Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sink plumbed incorrectly... Garbage disposal pushing water up!
Author: vbtalent (KY)

I'm looking for a little help plumbing my sink... I've obviously made some mistakes since when my garbage disposal runs it's coming up in the sink itself. I've attached some pics in hopes that you could criticize my work and help me understand how to do it correctly.

I believe that the sink sound flow directly into the trap and the GD should flow into that connection, not tee in the middle... thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

[drive.google.com]

Thanks,

Re: Sink plumbed incorrectly... Garbage disposal pushing water up!
Author: packy (MA)

Clicking on your Google drive shows "access denied"

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

OP,

Your hook-up is improper, as installed the GD WILL push into the other side of the sink.

The GD must discharge into the 'bull' of a baffle T (end waste baffle tee) installed on the vertical run FROM the bowl to the trap.

You will need 2 - 90 degree tailpieces and a baffle T.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I think I have the access fixed now.. sorry about that.

My answer was given AFTER viewing the pic.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

The double sink end outlet kits come with a plain drain tee, not a baffle tee.

Edited 1 times.

I think this would be the better solution with the baffle tee under the sink, correct?

[drive.google.com]

Author: vic (CA)

Again with your next picture "access denied"

Can you try again.. I think it works now.

correct

We'll give it a go tonight and see if it now works correctly. Many thanks for the insight and information into sink plumbing, you guys are great!

[drive.google.com]

Quick follow up question about the dishwasher discharge.. if not using an air gap should there be a high loop in the line to prevent any backup of GD into the dishwasher? Do they make an extension hose for the dishwasher discharge?

Happy Holidays!

VB,

Author: packy (MA)

yes, tie wrap the DW hose to a clip holding the sink to the counter

A quick follow up on the Baffle Tee, I’m still experiencing the same issue where when running the garbage disposal, garbage is coming up on the sink side, what have I done wrong???

Author: Tom130 (IL)

What is the waste tied into? How long is the 1.5" pipe? Did you rod the existing drain? How far?

This was an existing sink that was here, I believe it ties into a 3" drain line under the house.

The 1.5" between the trap and the tee is about 4".

Sorry, not sure what you're asking me. "Did you rod the existing drain"

VB,

Author: Tom130 (IL)

I think the obstruction is downstream of the trap. The 1.5" goes through the bottom of the cabinet. Is there a basement or crawlspace under it? Or are you on a slab? Either way you need to rod the drain, Either buy a power rodder or call a professional.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.